laser diode cleaning

Hello people :) I want to ask something :) I want to clean mine friend laser diode in dvd player. With what I can do it? I read somewhere that I should use isopropyl alcohol C3H8O, or do I use simple alcohol for windows cleaning or 70% medical alcohol?

Hello people :) I want to ask something :) I want to clean mine friend laser diode in dvd player. With what I can do it? I read somewhere that I should use isopropyl alcohol C3H8O, or do I use simple alcohol for windows cleaning or 70% medical alcohol?

1. Isopropyl is the best.
  2. "medical" (ethilic) alcohol may leave some traces, better NOT use it.
  3. "windows" alcohol is actually a mix of ethilic alcohol with some other detergent: DO NOT use it
  4. pure ethilic alcohol (the one used to produce alcoholic beverages/liquors, like 90% or 95%) will do.

jaclaz

1. Isopropyl is the best.
  2. "medical" (ethilic) alcohol may leave some traces, better NOT use it.
  3. "windows" alcohol is actually a mix of ethilic alcohol with some other detergent: DO NOT use it
  4. pure ethilic alcohol (the one used to produce alcoholic beverages/liquors, like 90% or 95%) will do.

jaclaz

so you think to use Isopropyl or pure ethilic alcohol?

Edited by tomislav91

so you think to use Isopropyl or pure ethilic alcohol?

Does the wording of my post leave any doubts about that?

I'll try again:

DO NOT use "windows alcohol". The additives in it will leave traces.

DO NOT use acetone or other similar solvents. Unless you want to melt some plastic. :ph34r:

You should use isopropyl alcohol ONLY.

IF you don't have the above, use pure ethilic alcohol (the one used to produce alcoholic beverages/liquors, like 90% or 95%)

IF you don't have the above, use "medical" alcohol, BUT be very careful to NOT leave any traces ("medical alcohol" is the above BUT a form of "denaturated" with some additives, including the "red/rose colour "mwethylviolet" or similar):

these additives
may
leave residual traces

IF you don't have any of the above leave the lense dirty or clean it "dry" with a brush or similar.

BTW, just as for similar cleaning chores, Vodka is not that bad, either. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'm not sure why you asked the question, since you seem to be intent on just using what you have. LOL I don't know what the conditions are where you live, but isopropyl should be readily available and very cheap. You should have been able to go to any grocery store or pharmacy and bought some in the time this thread has taken so far.

Cheers and Regards

I'm not sure why you asked the question, since you seem to be intent on just using what you have. LOL I don't know what the conditions are where you live, but isopropyl should be readily available and very cheap. You should have been able to go to any grocery store or pharmacy and bought some in the time this thread has taken so far.

JFYI, in Italy - as an example - isopropyl alcohol is VERY rare and in practice the ONLY way to get it (and not actually cheap :ph34r: €5 / 1 liter) is to get it from some specialized shop involved in tools and materials for restoration of wood and old furniture, and even the one that you can find is not "pure" (i.e. 100% isopropyl) but at 97% and "denaturated", anyway "good enough" for cleaning this kind of stuff :thumbup .

This is due to some tax/laws, if you want to sell this kind of alcohol you need a special license and need to hold a dedicated registry for it, in practice only wholesale and big chemical companies get (or can afford) this license.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

:blushing: Sorry :blushing:

I'm too used to having 91% and denatured (also usually good enough for this type of cleaning in my experience) available even at local corner convenience stores for 2USD. 99% can be ordered online for about 10USD.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

:blushing: Sorry :blushing:

I'm too used to having 91% and denatured (also usually good enough for this type of cleaning in my experience) available even at local corner convenience stores for 2USD. 99% can be ordered online for about 10USD.

No need to be sorry :), every place has it's queer things, but we do have a (most probably better BTW :whistle: ) pasta and wine than you have, and we have it at every other corner and for a fraction of the price you pay it in "italian" restaurants (BTW here we call them simply restaurants ;)), so I think I'll live without accessible ispropyl alcohol.... :lol:

jaclaz