Updating Windows Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express 6

Ascii2

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP has been released.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not come bundled with a version of Outlook Express.

When Windows Internet Explorer 8 is installed on a computer running Windows XP, Outlook Express 6.0 remains and is functional.

In the past, cumulative updates for Internet Explorer browsers and Outlook Express client were delivered in a single update package. Has this practice been discontinued?

To update both Windows Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express 6.0, should an Internet Explorer 6 cumulative update package be applied in addition to the Windows Internet Explorer 8 cumulative update package?

Thanks for posting 5eraph.

I'm not aware of IE and OE ever being updated by the same updates, but I am certain that they haven't been updated in that way within the past three years.
The first Windows Internet Explorer browser was released in year 2006 (over three years ago); it might have been decided to keep the updates separate at or before that time.
For IE8 installed on XPx86SP3 you will need KB2510531, KB2544521, KB2559049 and KB2562937.

For OE6 as included with XPx86SP3 you will need KB978542 and KB2544893.

Thank you for the information.

When Windows Internet Explorer 8 is installed on a computer running Windows XP, Outlook Express 6.0 remains and is functional.

From what I read OE6, included in XP, is the last version, with only minor updates in XP's SP2 and SP3, not anymore in further versions of IE, like...10 years ago ;) .

As Tripredacus pointed out, what should have been OE7 is Windows Mail.