Making a Vista ISO help needed.

ezarc

Ill go through what I have done so far on my way to trying to run vLite on my Vista lap top.

Downloaded and installed vLite

Downloaded (for 17 hours), burnt and installed WAIK

Downloaded and installed and then ininstalled various ISO tools.

I have searched all over the forums but I don't understand enough about what I am trying to do.

From what I gather because I don't have a install CD (HP/Compaq laptop) I need to make a Vista ISO back up file and burn it to DVD then copy it to a folder so I can select the folder where windows installation files are located.

The problems I have, I don't know how to do that. I have never even once backed up my computer and I dont think it would save it as a ISO file if it did. I have searched all over for how to do it but pretty much everything just says "make a Vista ISO file" or "use your Vista ISO file" and amuses that I know how to do it.

Could anyone guide me with steps how to do this? It would be very appreciated, so far I have spent over 24 hours total just trying to get vLite up and running.

Thanks if anyone can help.

40 views, 12 hours and zero replies later.

I'm downloading my version of the vista ISO file, this will take 2-3 days. Probably longer as I wont/can't have my laptop on 24/7.

I hope Im doing the right thing.

40 views, 12 hours and zero replies later.

Yeah, life is tough :(. All the waiting time, and no replies, I feel for you. :)

I'm downloading my version of the vista ISO file, this will take 2-3 days. Probably longer as I wont/can't have my laptop on 24/7.

WHERE from? :w00t:

I hope Im doing the right thing.

Probably not :blink: .

In some cases it is possible to create a "good enough" source Vista :ph34r: .iso from the files you have on the DVD (the one you DID NOT burn when prompted to ;)) or from the Recovery partition on your hard disk.

Or you can contact HP/Compaq, it should be possible to have (paying for it) a copy of either the recovery DVD or of the install disc.

Or you can buy a "full" license that comes with the actual install DVD.

Compare with:

(example only)

You may find specific instructions here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-compaq/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-compaq/120228-clean-vista-install-no-activation.html

but there are so many different ways your PC may have been set up that cannot say (expeciallly with no meaningful info about the model)

jaclaz

Im downloading it from TPB.

From what I read I just need a ISO file with the vista software that came with my laptop.

I wish vLite could just scan or have a database with the different versions to select from.

My laptop is a HP/Compaq Presario V6000 (Australian Version) and has Vista Home premium, version 6.0, build 6002, service pack 2.

Its not much to go by, but Im just downloading the Vista Home Premium ISO with a bit torrent and hoping it will work.

Edit*

Thanks for the reply, I'm just about to sleep but I'll read the links when I wake up.

Edited by ezarc

What you are doing is illegal and cannot\will not be tolerated here.

Yes you read correctly BUT the act of downloading a MS os from a non official distributer is illegal in almost ALL countries.

It is definatly illegal here in the U.S. (where msfn is based) therefore we cannot help you with this matter.

Sorry I read to do that in these forums.

The only other way was to back up my laptop and make it a ISO and there is no information on here how to do that. Not in any terms I understand.

I would do it the "correct way" if the information was available to do it. The only reason I am downloading it is because I don't know how to make my own copy and I didn't know anything is wrong with downloading it.

I didn't even know its a OS, I thought its just back up install files.

I would be more than happy to follow your advice to back up my own computer and save it as a ISO file if you are willing to take the time to tell me how.

Ill check back tomorrow, sorry again.

I would do it the "correct way" if the information was available to do it.

1. It is
  2. I already pointed you to it

I didn't even know its a OS, I thought its just back up install files.

I would be more than happy to follow your advice to back up my own computer and save it as a ISO file if you are willing to take the time to tell me how.

Basically what apparently comes from your post is:

1. I have a problem.
  2. You should tell me how to solve it.
  3. Since I don't know anything about the steps involved, I assumed it is just a matter of following a few steps clearly explained and custom-tailored to my specific PC/OS/whatever.

Which has as correspondent replies:

1. Yes :(
  2. Done.
  3. This may prove harder than you might think, right now it's like going to (say) a carpenter and ask him "How do I build a house?" :w00t: More specifically, before asking the question, you should know wat a hammer is, what nails are and what a saw is and be able to use them.

About #3 I will gladly assist you :) if you have problems but you might understand how it will be difficult to do an entire PC tech course starting from your declared 0 (zero) knowledge in the field. :ph34r:

jaclaz