Wide Color Gamut

xmf

A common sentiment seems to be that over-saturation is a problem with wide-gamut displays (with non color-aware programs).

I'm confused as to what specification qualifies a monitor to be wide-gamut. The HP zr24w is not considered wide-gamut and has the following specs:

Color Gamut Area vs. NTSC 83% (CIE 1976), 72% (CIE 1931)

Color Gamut Coverage of sRGB 97% (CIE 1931)

Another monitor (I've forgotten the model) is said to have a wide-gamut and displays 91 percent of the NTSC color spectrum.

Am I to assume that the 91% wide gamut monitor will have over-saturation issues? I am not a photo/graphics editor and I'd like to know what spec I should look for to avoid that issue.

Thanks

Over-saturation issues? There is no such thing when you look at LCD screens for PC, why would you be so worried about it? We are talking about gamut and the colors it can produce as close to perfect. Some screens do 110+ but most screens will just show 65 to 78%, so, the less than 100% screens have a loss of color (not colors as that is related to 6, 8 or more bits per color and the techniques they use to reproduce a color on the screen). it also has not much to do with backligts.

So, you are asking about gamut in general or you are looking for a screen that would fit your needs?