AMD or Intel processor for running VMware workstation

bookie32

Hi folks!

Thought I'd give a little update on my build......

I have tried to incorperate a little from all you have said.....

I did look ro a while at an Asus mobo:

ASUS M5A99X EVO 990X AM3+ ATX...,but I then looked at a Gigabyte mobo and decided on that....one has to try something different....so now my build looks like this:

Chassi: NZXT Classic Series H2 - miditower - ATX

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.0) - moderkort - ATX - Socket AM3+ - AMD 990FX (GA-990FXA-UD3)

Procesor: AMD Black Edition AMD Phenom II X6 1090T / 3.2 GHz processor

Memory: 2x CORSAIR Vengeance Dual C DDR3 8GB Kit, 1600MHz (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)

Hard Drives: 1x KINGSTON HYPERX 120GB SSD SATA/600 MLC KIT (for OS)

Hard Drives: 2x WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB (for fast storage)

Hard Drives: 2x WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN 2TB SATA/300 64MB (for main storage customer images etc)

PSU: CORSAIR HX 750W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V

Graphics Card: ASUS RADEON HD5670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E VGA/DVI/HDMI

Heatsink: NOCTUA NH-D14 S-1155/1156/1366/AM3

Nothing is going according to plan...decided on the NH-D14 because of the reputation behind it ...NOT happy.

This time I orderd my parts from different suppliers because of the demand for electronics is exeding the supply....and it is hard to get hold of stuff...LOL

Anyway, I had my Noctua for a few days before the other stuff came and hadn't checked inside the box to see if there was any damage....Noctua is known for its quality, but it would seem there are a number of units getting passed their quality control that don't meet up with what one expects from Noctua

There are two radiators on this beasty and one of them was crooked, so the tower doesn't stand so straight...?!

My supplier is replacing it, but now I have to wait for that....help...I have built new computers with this heatsink for customers and haven't had any trouble...typical when one is building for one seelf... :lol:

To give you an idea of what I mean..check out the two videos....the first is with a presentation of the NH-D14 and he appears not to have noticed that one of the radiators is crooked....

The second is how we expect our products from Noctua....

(check the part where he has just removed the NH-D14 from the box)

Well. my Noctua NH-D14 is more crooked than the first.....I have written to Noctua in case they are not aware of the problem..... :angel

Well, I will give you some more info when I have tested it....will have to wait to Monday now when the new heatsink should turn up...

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Hi MagicAndre1981 :hello:

I have now amended the original post with build...

I have received a reply from Noctua...stating that all heatsinks are checked before leaving the factory and an apology for the inconvenience caused...

If I am unfortunate to receive another one now in exchange - then I will have to think again regarding Noctuas standards...and go with something else instead...

I have bought a ton of Noctua fans etc and nearly all of them have been of a good quality...it is just this big beasty I am a little worried about....

bookie32

Hi again :hello:

Just a slight modification to original build....changed the psu now.

The CORSAIR HX 750W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V gets a good write up here and I want to save on cables..... :ph34r:

Not been the cheapest build I have done for myself...but wanted something reliable!

bookie32