Virtual Disk Service

johnsed

I wrote a C# program to add/mount/dismount volumes (disks) utilizing the NET 4.0 Microsoft.Storage.Vds library.

The program works fine but my Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 server images have a default Dynamic Pack instance based on the Dynamic Provider.

I based the C# program on the Virtual Disk Service (VDS) object model is defined in this Microsoft URL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383402%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

VDS has a Service Loader that contains a Service. The Service contains a set of Providers (Dynamic/Basic). A Provider contains a set of Packs and a Pack contains a set of Disks and/or Volumes.

My default Dynamic Pack has the following set of parameters:

· Disks: Empty "Enumeration yielded no results"

· Flags: Corrupted

· Name: "Invalid"

· Provider: Points to Dynamic Provider

· ID: e092a187-b5cf-4a21-9833-03968cef1beb

· Volumes: Empty "Enumeration yielded no results"

I’d want to remove the invalid Dynamic Pack. I can create a valid Dynamic Pack for the initial set of disk/volume groups that I want to add. However, when I want to create subsequent sets of Dynamic Packs, it is not allowed. The error message indicates that an empty Dynamic Pack already exists. This would be the “Invalid” Dynamic Pack.

I tired to remove it programmatically via the “Dispose” function and the System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject but an exception is throw that indicates that this default Dynamic Pack was not created as VDS object.

Is there any utility that can remove a Pack? I believe that Dispart works at the Disk and Volume level. I need to remove the "Invalid" Pack that sits above the disk and volumes. Any assistance would be appreciated.