Script That Lists Detailed Hardware Summary

Anyone have a sample script that will list detailed versions of the hardware on a system from WinPE via VBS or batch script?? I'm able to pull bios data from SMBios but need data like raid card manufacturer, model and firmware version, NIC model and firmware version, etc...

Specifically, I need:

System Manufacturer

System Model

System Serial number

Bios Version

Ram installed (preferrably broken down by dimms installed)

Raid card manufacturer, model and fw version

Type of Raid setup and virtual drive size(s)

HD Manufacturer, model, size and fw version

NIC/Fiber HBA manufacturer, model and fw version

Video card manufacturer and model

Sound Card manufacturer and model

Maybe more...

Thanks in advance. I just need a starting point or any advice from anyone who has experience doing it.

Edited by llaub01

Correct. @llaub01, If you'd look around, you'd find there are already scripts posted here that do basically what you're asking. We put a pretty heavy premium on searching before posting, so please always remember to do so - there's an archive of stuff here that goes back 10 years, so you're likely to find what you're looking for if you search the forums :).

To be fair, WMI is only so much help here. You'll get the low hanging fruit with almost zero effort -- that's the nice part. But lots of those things:

-are quite painful to get at (like firmware versions using the MSDeviceUI_FirmwareRevision class to retreive the infos from an instance name you have to get first)

-are just completely unreliable or borderline useless depending on your hardware. Like detecting PCI cards (which includes most stuff on his list) as it will only list what windows has drivers for and already works... If it doesn't work in WinPE then it won't tell you it's there, much less give you infos about it. Unless you have drivers for it all slipstreamed. Otherwise you'd have to enumerate PCI/USB VendorID's & DeviceID's and match those with self-maintained lists...

-not quite what you'd hope for (like video cards notoriously returning their family instead of their precise model)

-don't offer quite as much infos as you'd hope for (like for memory sticks)

-are probably impossible to get at (like RAID setup, from the cards' BIOS)

Fortunately we don't deal with any of that at work since we just deploy on top of ESXi

Yes, that is true. But unless you're going to write your own code, that's what you're going to get. It doesn't get much better with powershell, as a lot of the device information just isn't available without asking the HAL directly in a real program.

But unless you're going to write your own code, that's what you're going to get. It doesn't get much better with powershell

You speak the truth:) Getting at those advanced infos is a pretty major undertaking no matter which way one tackles it. Maintaining lists of Vendor/Device IDs, decoding SMBIOS tables, writing kernel mode drivers to chat on the SMBUS (taking in consideration every chipset's features/addresses and so on), etc. None of it is easy, nor fast, nor gives the results you'd really wish for.

There's many utilities like jaclaz mentioned that can get partial infos, including devcon (most are GUI based though)

Just don't expect to find the perfect program that does it all, nor an easy way to write one (too much low-level wizardry for one guy)

@culberti - I tried a couple searches but my main goal in the post was to see what path to venture down from people who have done it before. I've been trying to absorb as much as possible before starting out, ya know? :)

@CoffeeFiend - Good info! I appreciate the tips and I think at least have a place to start.

@jaclaz - I've played with SIW but not with SIV. Thanks for the tip!

I just stumbled upon this site and you guys seem to be a great resource! Thanks again!