[DISCONTINUED] Update Rollup 2 for Windows 2000

tomasz86

tomasz86,

about a week ago, I ran 2K setup from CD to machine installs and setup had problems installing shlwapi.dll (as did My2GirlsDad) as well as two others

odbc32.dll

mswrd6.wpc

just in case it might help while you are reviewing

they occurred at different times in the setup (see pics)

unfortunately I don't have the log files anymore

post-79406-0-63615300-1310922979_thumb.j

post-79406-0-06078500-1310923048_thumb.j

#2. Use the kernel v5 together with DX Full Pack (Gaming).

This is the fix for

SCRIPTEN.EXE

WINDOWS2000-KB975542-X86-ENU.EXE

WINDOWS2000-KB981349-X86-ENU.EXE

everything slipstream fine no errors.

It was fdv fileset that caused the usb interface popup, I know this because I slipstream a CD without fdv fileset and there was no errors.

Thank you! You are 1 awesome person.

Molecule,

odbc32.dll is caused by the broked header of KB2419632. I posted about it long time ago here

You should try using the Global version (v2) which has this problem fixed.

Windows2000-KB2419632-v2-x86-Global.exe

PROBLEMCHYLD,

are there any problems with the above updates (scripten.exe, KB975542, KB981349) when not using the kernel v5?

My2GirlsDad,

You may try putting "scripten.exe" in HF instead of HFSVCPACK_SW1.

To summarise:

#1. Use the fixed (v2a) version of IE / OE Mini Rollup 1.1.

#2. Use the kernel v5 together with DX Full Pack (Gaming).

#3. Put "scripten.exe" in HF.

Everything should install fine.

Thank you very much, tomasz86, everything installed just like it should with no problems.

Appreciate your quick fixes.

Waiting patiently for your update to Update Rollup 2 for Windows 2000 with WMP9 and MDAC 2.8. Take your time I can wait.

My2GirlsDad

PROBLEMCHYLD,

are there any problems with the above updates (scripten.exe, KB975542, KB981349) when not using the kernel v5?

Yes I get the same error My2GirlsDad was talking about, doesn't matter what folder you use. I always had to install them manually.

Your tip help a lot. thanks

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

My2GirlsDad,

It's good to know that everything works now :) As for MDAC 2.81, it will be included in UR2.1. WMP9 - I'm still now sure whether to include it in UR2.1 or just make a separate package.

PROBLEMCHYLD,

Interesting... I got no errors when putting scripten.exe in HF (and I didn't slipstream anything else apart from it to be sure that it was scripten.exe to cause that error). Anyway, I always recommend using BlackWingCat's kernel (v5) as it extends Win2k kernel by adding functions from the XP one. Many programs which normally don't work under 2K can be run with no problems when this kernel is installed.

Edited by tomasz86

My2GirlsDad,

It's good to know that everything works now :) As for MDAC 2.81, it will be included in UR2.1. WMP9 - I'm still now sure whether to include it in UR2.1 or just make a separate package.

PROBLEMCHYLD,

Interesting... I got no errors when putting scripten.exe in HF (and I didn't slipstream anything else apart from it to be sure that it was scripten.exe to cause that error). Anyway, I always recommend using BlackWingCat's kernel (v5) as it extends Win2k kernel by adding functions from the XP one. Many programs which normally don't work under 2K can be run with no problems when this kernel is installed.

The errors only occur when I don't use BlackWingCat's kernel, sorry you misunderstood me. Everything works great.

tomasz86,

I've come across another potential problem with your Update Rollup 2. Below find my results at Microsoft Update after my latest slipstream using HFSLIP.

While I understand that KB908531 and KB982381 are due to unofficial update KB2416400, I was surprised that KB956844 showed up since it part of the Rollup.

If I include the KB956844 in the \HF folder it updates TRIEDIT.dll to version 6.1.0.9235. If I leave it out and rely on the Rollup, triedit.dll remains at version 6.1.0.9211.

Is this something you may have overlooked? Everything else seems to working fine.

Thanks for looking into this.

My2GirlsDad

My2GirlsDad,

I know about this triedit.dll problems. It is caused by HFSLIP. Please make sure that before running HFSLIP you remove the following files:

HFCABS\_IE6_HFSLIP.CAB
HFCABS\_IE6b_HFSLIP.CAB
HFCABS\_OE6_HFSLIP.CAB

They are temporary files created by HFSLIP in order to slipstream IE/OE 6. The problem is that they mess the dates of these files and the older version of triedit.dll gets slipstreamed because of that. After running HFSLIP you should check file version of triedit.dl_ (unpack it first) from i386\. I had the same problem with triedit.dll but after removing these files the proper version gets slipstreamed. Be aware that they are created each time you run HFSLIP (if IE6 cabs are present) so you ought to delete them also each time before running HFSLIP.

You may also try using the beta of UR2-v3 which I optimised especially for compatibility with WU.

Windows2000-KB891861-UR2-v3-BETA-x86-ENU.exe (pass: msfn)

UR2-v3 has also the following improvements:

• - KB908531 is marked as installed (although the verclsid.exe file itself is just a dummy file, not used by the system)
    - ocsasnfix.exe is included (you had this one in your HFSLIP log, it's not necessary anymore :))

There are also more fixes and new updates but I'm going to explain everything in details when the final version is ready. You can check eula (update\eula.txt) for a full list of updates included in UR2-v3-BETA. NO updates are available through WU after the installation of UR2-v3 :whistle:

Edited by tomasz86

My2GirlsDad,

I know about this triedit.dll problems. It is caused by HFSLIP. Please make sure that before running HFSLIP you remove the following files:

HFCABS\_IE6_HFSLIP.CAB
HFCABS\_IE6b_HFSLIP.CAB
HFCABS\_OE6_HFSLIP.CAB

They are temporary files created by HFSLIP in order to slipstream IE/OE 6. The problem is that they mess the dates of these files and the older version of triedit.dll gets slipstreamed because of that. After running HFSLIP you should check file version of triedit.dl_ (unpack it first) from i386\. I had the same problem with triedit.dll but after removing these files the proper version gets slipstreamed. Be aware that they are created each time you run HFSLIP (if IE6 cabs are present) so you ought to delete them also each time before running HFSLIP.

You may also try using the beta of UR2-v3 which I optimised especially for compatibility with WU.

Windows2000-KB891861-UR2-v3-BETA-x86-ENU.exe (pass: msfn)

UR2-v3 has also the following improvements:

• - KB908531 is marked as installed (although the verclsid.exe file itself is just a dummy file, not used by the system)
    - ocsasnfix.exe is included (you had this one in your HFSLIP log, it's not necessary anymore :))

There are also more fixes and new updates but I'm going to explain everything in details when the final version is ready. You can check eula (update\eula.txt) for a full list of updates included in UR2-v3-BETA. NO updates are available through WU after the installation of UR2-v3 :whistle:

tomasz86,

After trying both of your great tips, removing the HFSLIP cab files and using your beta version, I'm still getting the 6.1.0.9211 version of triedit.dll instead of 6.1.0.9235. As I said before if I put KB956844 in HF the file is updated correctly. Is there something different between KB956844 and your rollup?

Thanks for your input on this. It is very confusing to me.

My2girlsDad