SG 7200.11 Not letting PC power up

Wow, looks like these drives have a lot of issues. I don't believe this issue is covered by the mega thread but if it is let me know and I will point back there.

The issue is that the drive completely does not allow the PC to power up. I tried it on an old and a new dell and both had the same error. No power up and amber power light flashes.

Any ideas?

If the PSU shuts itself off you have a shorted TVS diode.

If BOTH TVS diodes are OK, you will need to try an external USB enclosure. DO NOT try the disk drive into an external enclosure until you are POSITIVE the TVS diodes are OK, as most external power supplies have NO protection against short circuits and will simply burn.

Do not underestimate the amount of power (Amps) the drive may drain at spin-up, expecially if it has a "sticky" bearing.

In other words, it is possible that your current PSU does not provide enough power, and first suggesdted course of action is to try the drive in another PC (surely working) and with only that drive connected to the PSU (in the sense of no other disk drives connected).

jaclaz

Do you see it in bios ?

Did you tried to plug it in an usb enclosure and connect after pc powered up ?

I can't even get to BIOS. The PC never turns on.

I am thinking it is the diode issue. Is there a way to fix or test this?

I don't have another PC to try it in. I already tried it in two with the same result. the newer PC is almost brand new and built for SATA. It was the only hard drive plugged in.

I am thinking it is the diode issue. Is there a way to fix or test this?

Sure, you will need a multimeter and some very basic knowledge on how to use it.

See here:

But once you have found out it actually is a TVS shot, what are you going to do?

There may be REASONS why the TVS diode is short-circuited, and removing it may "fry" something (the whatever the TVS diode "sacrificed it's life" in order to protect).

It is also possible that it was just a transient on the power line, but if you don't know how to check for a shot diode, with all due respect :), I doubt you are able to diagnose the actual cause. :unsure:

jaclaz