[Help] Install XP to a USB HDD

I have an Emachines M250 Netbook (I think this is the same as an Acer Aspire One D250)

Due to an 'accident' it will not accept Internal HDD's so the ultimate goal is to run Windows XP from a USB HDD mounted in an enclosure.

The netbook has no problem with USB booting as I have succesfully run Ubuntu from it.

So the first step would be Installing XP from USB and at the moment I'm smashing my head against the BSOD which is the 7B error!

Steps taken so far (on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7)

1. Used RMPrepUsb to format USB HDD to NTFS

2. Used DPSBase to add Mass Storage and Chipset Drivers to XP Source

3. Replaced NTDETECT.COM at source with modified

4. Used WinToFlash to copy source to USB HDD (Have also tried WinsetrupFromUSBwithGUI but I can't get USB Multiboot 10 to work in Windows 7 even with UAC off and path fix etc. etc.)

5. Replaced all instances of NTDETECT.COM on USB HDD (just to be sure!)

Netbook boots to Text setup and then 7B's when Starting Windows.

What is annoying is that if I test on the Toshiba, it all works fine!

Please tell me what I'm missing!!!!

P.S. Wasn't trying to insult anyone else's knowledge with topic title, any and all help is greatly appreciated! Also sorry jaclaz for adding a K !

Edited by JamesRM

I am not sure to get what the problem is. :ph34r:

If I get it right, you installed the XP TO the USB hard disk (and to do this there is NOTHING connected to Wintoflash, WinsetupFromUSBwithGUI or USB Multiboot 10)? :unsure:

(or at least the above is your final GOAL)

Why don't you try a suitable app, which in this case is either the usboot.org thingy:

http://www.usboot.org/tiki-index.php

or -maybe better - the Wimb's tool:

http://reboot.pro/9830/

jaclaz

P.S.:

P.S. Wasn't trying to insult anyone else's knowledge with topic title, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Cannot say about anyone else, and particularly about jacklaz, jaclaz is NOT feeling insulted. ;)

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for the reply jaclaz ;)

Ultimately your right, the goal is to Install XP to a USB HDD using the usboot.org method.

But I haven't got that far yet, I need to be able to boot the XP Install CD from another USB HDD to actually install it from in the first place.

(No DVD drive no the netbook) and I just keep getting the 7B error .

What is annoying is that if I test on the Toshiba, it all works fine!

If this works on a Tosh, then check the BIOS settings (especially HDD Mode = AHCI and set to compatible or disabled or IDE).

If this works on a Tosh, then check the BIOS settings (especially HDD Mode = AHCI and set to compatible or disabled or IDE).

Already tried this, makes no difference :no:

.... I need to be able to boot the XP Install CD from another USB HDD to actually install it from in the first place.

(No DVD drive no the netbook) and I just keep getting the 7B error .

WHY? :unsure:

I mean, it is already complex enough to install from "normal" media TO USB device and to install FROM USB device to "normal" media, and you are trying to install FROM USB device TOUSB device directly? :w00t:

I like people that like to live dangerously! :thumbup

Anyway, we need to separate this thingy in two.

Forget about:

1. WintoFlash
  2. USB Multiboot 10
  3. usboot.org

Try using WinsetrupFromUSBwithGUI to create an install USB stick.

Test that it works by trying it in Qemu (+Qemu Manager).

Then start reading here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22473&hl=

(the WHOLE thread, not just first post)

It may work, or it may not :ph34r: , there are probably several factors that can contribute to the success of the attempt, mainly timing problems.

Some are listed here:

http://reboot.pro/14427/

(and links within)

Still, the mentione XP image approach by Wimb might be more starightforward.

jaclaz

Think it's more like suicide than living dangerously :D

Your approach is what I'm trying to do but the problem is that I'm not getting past the first stage :-(

I've used WinsetrupFromUSBwithGUI to create an install stick which works fine on the Toshiba laptop that I created it on

But when I put it into the netbook it gives a 7B on the text setup after starting windows.

Not too familiar with QEMU, can I get it to match the hardware/environment on the netbook when it's running on a different machine?

Thanks for your continued help.

I've used WinsetrupFromUSBwithGUI to create an install stick which works fine on the Toshiba laptop that I created it on

But when I put it into the netbook it gives a 7B on the text setup after starting windows.

But this happens because the TARGET drive is USB connected, doesn't it?

I mean, have you tried to have that same SOURCE stick using (on the Toshiba) the USB hard disk as TARGET?

I.e. that should be EXACTLY the situation when you need to run the usbbootwatcher service:

Not too familiar with QEMU, can I get it to match the hardware/environment on the netbook when it's running on a different machine?

Of course not, but the Qemu VM is (or can be set) as plain a PC hardware can be, i.e. standard VGA and "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller", and that would be compatible (if you have the option in BIOS) to "IDE compatibility mode".

jaclaz

But this happens because the TARGET drive is USB connected, doesn't it?

No, on the netbook even without the TARGET USB connected, I still get 7B on Starting Windows, right after the drivers load.

On the Toshiba WITH the Target USB connected the same key gets past that point on to the select drive to install on screen and shows

the Target USB as fixed drive to install on just fine.

i'll probably try a couple more things when I get home tonight before giving up and seeing if wimb's solution could work.

Don't know why MS have to be so high and mighty so as not to retro-spectively added USB Boot/Install support :-(

Ok, so I managed to get past the 7b when booting from the Source USB drive only

This was achieved by downloading the actual Chipset and Mass Storage drivers from the Netbook manufacturer's website

and then creating my own Driverpack with just these in and then intergrating using DPsBase.

As you alluded to the problem now is that the 7b returns when I connect the Target USB drive as well.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Is it a case of the Windows installation selecting the wrong drive when it refreshes it's hardware?

Ok, so I managed to get past the 7b when booting from the Source USB drive only

This was achieved by downloading the actual Chipset and Mass Storage drivers from the Netbook manufacturer's website

and then creating my own Driverpack with just these in and then intergrating using DPsBase.

As you alluded to the problem now is that the 7b returns when I connect the Target USB drive as well.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Is it a case of the Windows installation selecting the wrong drive when it refreshes it's hardware?

Hmmm.

When you boot from a USB connected disk, normally the BIOS "detects" it (and NO OTHER USB attached Mass Storage devices) and then the SETUPLDR.BIN finds the driver (if it is slipsteamed as you need) and booting goes on.

In theory (but this may greatly change with different BIOSes) when you have TWO devices connected at boot, the BIOS should "map" only the one you boot from, but maybe it gets somehow "confused".

In other words, the result should be that you can boot from the "source" USB disk, but cannot see the "target" USB disk (until the actual USB drivers are loaded), not a 0x0000007b. :unsure:

The behaviour you describe sounds even more like a "timing" or "conflict of some kind" problem.

At this point I would propose you (again :)) a different game.

What about using the SAME USB disk as BOTH "Source" and "Target"?

Start the install on the Toshiba (or any other computer).

Stop at first reboot.

Add the USBbootwatcher AND the CDDB mod:

Try booting on the Acer.

(maybe if the source has the right drivers already slipstreamed, it may work :unsure:)

jaclaz

In other words, the result should be that you can boot from the "source" USB disk, but cannot see the "target" USB disk (until the actual USB drivers are loaded), not a 0x0000007b.

Yeah, it's weird, especially when on the Toshiba it actually detects both with no problems. In fact it's a shame I'm not trying to do it with the Toshiba as I think it would have been a cinch :lol:

What about using the SAME USB disk as BOTH "Source" and "Target"?

This also occured to me last night and I think this is going to be the best option to stand a chance of working.

The drive is 80 GB so assumingly I would create a 2GB partition on the drive which would be the XP Install partition. Boot on the netbook (which now works). Select to install Windows to the remaining 78 GB partition, then at first reboot, connect to Toshiba and add USBbootwatcher and CDDB, then complete install back on the netbook ?

Will I need to change boot.ini at any stage to select which partition to boot from?

Thanks again for your continued help :thumbup

I think the partition can (and should) be the same one.

What Windows Setup normally does is:

1. boot from CD
  2. copy a bunch of files to the \$WIN_NT$.~BT and \$WIN_NT$.~LS folders
  3. reboot
  4. use the files in \$WIN_NT$.~BT and \$WIN_NT$.~LS folders to install (normally to \Windows\) (two phases, text mode and GUI mode)
  5. delete the \$WIN_NT$.~BT and \$WIN_NT$.~LS folders
  6. reboot
  7. boot the installed XP

The general issue solved by the various little apps developed is (mainly) the avoidance of deleting the \$WIN_NT$.~BT and \$WIN_NT$.~LS folders.

If you prefer the idea was/is to replicate the behaviour of the MS CD, i.e. "prepare once, install many" as opposed to "prepare once, install once", which in your particular case may be acceptable.

So, I am wondering if we can use INSTEAD a WINNT32.EXE approach (which will create the \$WIN_NT$.~BT and \$WIN_NT$.~LS folders allright from a running XP on the "same source/target disk" AND "same source/target partition")

The idea is to run the WINNT32.EXE on the Toshiba then:

• DO NOT allow rebooting on the Toshiba
  • boot on the Acer
  • break at reboot
  • connect to the Toshiba
  • do the USBbootwatcher trick
  • connect to the Acer
  • let it boot and continue installing on the Acer

I.e. something more in the line of:

I would also copy to the "target" USB disk the whole \I386\ directory of the "Source", say in a "\Source\I386\, so if later the setup needs anything that is not already in \$WIN_NT$.~LS folder, it can be got from \I386\

Please take into account that some (please read as several :ph34r: ) attempts need to be made in order to hopefully have the whole thingy working.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Due to an 'accident' it will not accept Internal HDD's so the ultimate goal is to run Windows XP from a USB HDD mounted in an enclosure.

Did you disable mass storage controller at BIOS?

Then use usbhub.sys from XP Embedded.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428799.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11196

<POSready2009_CD.iso>\Setup\USB\usbhub.sys