Install XP from USB without extra tools

when did you assign a drive letter for the usb stick? i really wanted to try something like this but I'm using windows xp for my work machine.

NO way on XP if the USB device is seen as "removable".

But this thread is an "exercise" to see what can be done "WITHOUT EXTRA TOOLS".

If you want to "play the game" it's OK of course. :)

If you want to actually have a working install from the USB stick, use any of the tools provided in this Forum, it will be faster. ;)

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU ALL!

I work as an IT Support (MCDST)- yes nothing to brag about, but I had to start somewhere. I trying to move away from the support side of things and getting into building / repairing Laptops. So far this week I have rebuilt two and today I was given a Acer Aspire One to rebuild.

The problem I have is that the HDD, is buried within the chasis, and I lack the full toolkit to get it out. (Normally I wip out the Drive and put it into a caddy and run CHKDSK and what not from my PC.)

As I couldn't do this, I needed a way to start the recovery console from the XP CD. - This netbook has no CD drive, so the USB installation method was the only way!

This is by far the best way to do it. Very minimalistic and took 30 mins to get to the Recovery console from start to finish.

I will update when it comes to a re-install so far I am just attempting to repair the OS.

Again thanks for a simple way to get XP to install without any downloads.

Regards,

DRT

• 5 years later...

Thank you for your kindness. Make XP Installation Disk on USB without using any 3rd party software is difficult for me for many years. Your Post is the first Document I found

on internet. it works well.

11 hours ago, e-t-c said:

BTW: (for me) a simply way to bring an Linux or/and Windows XP/7/8/10 *.ISO Image to USB is YUMI (Standard) :)

... or one of the several other tools and methods now available, many of which have a dedicated topic in the sub-forum, but - out of sheer curiosity - which part of "WITHOUT EXTRA TOOLS" in the topic title made you post about an extra tool? :dubbio::whistle:

jaclaz

Please Correct this line: in step 4

from ->  SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1"

to ->  SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1"

Otherwise, Setup cannot find End User License Agreement Error and Setup cannot continue.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, nopakrai said:

Please Correct this line: in step 4

from ->  SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1"

to ->  SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1"

Otherwise, Setup cannot find End User License Agreement Error and Setup cannot continue.

Thank you.

NO need to.

That value may depend from a number of factors, some BIOS may detect the stick as HardDisk1 even if the PC was booted from it (in some cases, on the same machine a USB stick may be HardDisk 0 or 1 depending on the exact way the USB stick was booted, like changing BIOS boot device order vs. press F12 (or whatever key) to change it "on-the-fly":

* The value of SetupSourceDevice can be any valid NT device path. When booting from a USB stick, the stick normally gets assigned as \Device\Harddisk0. The fun thing is that other paths also work, for example "\GLOBAL??\D:", where D is the drive letter assigned to your USB stick when booting from it. (Bit of trial and error needed here). The trick is that all Win32 device paths are actually a subset of all NT device paths, attached under \GLOBAL??. Note that paths other than NT device paths don't work (such as ARC paths, or direct Win32 paths such as "D:" or "\\.\Physicaldisk0".

jaclaz