strange pc problem, help please

5duq0wwvh7

hi~!

I have a major problem with my pc, here is the history:

I bought it few months ago, everything was okay

I then installed a new more effective cpu cooler, it worked afterwards flawlessly for some months

few days ago, it suddently freezed and after I restarting it, it freezed at WinXP logon screen (where the green progress bar moves), even if I removed all the usb deviced

then, I chose to restart in 'safe mode' and I got the (popular - judging from the reports on the web) freezing at the mup.sys

after some unsuccesful restarts, the pc ended not being able to logon to BIOS (the BIOS screen did not appear)

then, I took the pc to the service but they told me that there was nothing wrong! (it was booting okay, with my own hard drive)

then I took it back home, I connected everything as previously (usb, my drive, etc) and it worked excellent

but after few days it did the same freezes! and now I cant logon to BIOS

I cleared CMOS (by removing battery), and I managed to get to the CMOS recovery screen, I chose default CMOS settings, but again the PC freezed after I connected my hard disk or my dvd drive

I can't see what is wrong! any idea?

now and I am writing from a net cafe, so please advise asap, thanks!!

First, post your hardware specs ESPECIALY the motherboard model. So far it sounds to me that it could be:

-Motherboard

-PSU

-RAM

Now, to test a part of the motherboard and RAM is easy with Memtest86, go to http://www.memtest.org/ and get the "Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*", install that on an empty old USB stick. Now it's the trick to get the PC to boot into the BIOS. Next time don't touch the battery and use a Clear BIOS jumper. Remove all besides the video card (if it has one) and use only one RAM memory stick. Removing RAM can't be done with the computer having power so unplug the power supply from the net. Push the on/off button on your PC so that most of the components in the PC have no to almost nothing of charge. Now you can starting to remove parts from the PC.

So, only have the motherboard connected with one RAM stick, and if it doesn't have onboard video, with the videocard in place too. Disconnect all opical and harddisk drives. Keep your keyboard connected as well. Now, see if it boots into the BIOS, if not, try the setup with another RAM stick. If it still doesn't fire up swap out the PSU. If that doesn't work it's most likely your motherboard that is bad. It's not likely the CPU as they are hard to kill and videocards will give you most likely other problems. Also, if you use a videocard with a PCI-E power connector, make sure it's connected well.

If you can boot into the BIOS than set it so it boots from USB first. Most motherboards have the option to push F12 to get a boot-menu, you could try that too. Plug in the USB stick with Memtest86 on it and let it do it's work. If errors show up your RAM settings could be wrong (most of the time not enough voltage or bad timings set) or just some crapped out sticks.

Let's do the above first and do give us your detailed parts list as well.

IF you have no clue of the above, you are too green to do this yourself and it's better to get the thing back to the repair shop and ask the guys what they did with it that it worked. :yes:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 Black 1090T

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

RAM: Trascend DDR3 1333MHz 2x2GB

PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 700Watt

no graphics card

nothing overclocked

500GB HDD

I tried before to boot with one memory stick, i even placed in different slots, but no BIOS screen showed up

(however, I didnt do these with the specific order you said them, I will try this way)

I ever tried to boot with no memory sticks on, waiting to hear the characteristic multiple beeps from mobo (as I read), but nothing was heard

I tried to boot from cd or boot from HD, to run Hiren's CD or UBCD, but couldn't logon to BIOS (although fans were working)

from USB I haven't tried, but the problem is that I now can't even enter BIOS, I 'll try the Clear BIOS jumper trick, but doesnt it have the same effect as the battery removal method?

anyways, how do I clear CMOS from the jumper? I see to vertical small metal cords, do I have to short-circuit them? how do I do it exactly? do I need any tools? EDIT: okay I saw some youtube vids about it, there must be a jumper in the mobo box and I fit it in the vertical cords, but for how long to completely discharge it?

Edited by puntoMX
We can't have pirated copyrighted stuff on the forum

anyways, how do I clear CMOS from the jumper? I see to vertical small metal cords, do I have to short-circuit them? how do I do it exactly? do I need any tools? EDIT: okay I saw some youtube vids about it, there must be a jumper in the mobo box and I fit it in the vertical cords, but for how long to completely discharge it?

Just power off the system, look for a jumper close to the battery:

1 2 3
[o o]o Just move the jumper from this position
o[o o] to this position for a few second and the BIOS is clear
[o o]o return to this position when done

Now, if you ask me, I would RMA the motherboard (return it for repair), but ask the guys at the shop first what they did to it so it worked for some time. I'm 90% positive it's your motherboard, but test it with another power supply first. Gigabyte motherboards normally are very good so you could have been unlucky with this one.