New pc with sata disk, how to make a double partition without floppy b

retrotekk

You haven't specifically stated that you don't have a Physical Floppy Drive.

However, after simple test, here is the procedure to use with an OEM-Bootable Win98SE CD.

1 - Boot to CD and select "Boot to CD-ROM"

2 - enter "FDISK" at the prompt

3 - choose Create Primary Partition

4 - When asked to "Use All and Set Active" choose "NO"

5 - Create first partition (will be the C-drive) the size you want

6 - Press ESC and select "Set Active Partition" - pick the new (only) partition

7 - Create second partition (an Extended)

* note - will lead to created a Logical Drive and will take remainder of the HDD

8 - ESC completely out of FDISK and Reboot to "Boot to CD-ROM"

9 - enter "CD E:\WIN98" then enter "E:" (without quotes)

10 - Format both partitions

11 - enter "SETUP" (without quotes) - You are now installing 98SE on the Active (C-drive) Partition

Done! (may have skipped a couple of specifics, eg ESC to get to a particular Menu, on the FDISK part - was in a hurry...)

Don't forget to allow Boot to HDD on next reboot (it finishes up the Windows install HDD).

At step 11, you can optionally create ("MD") a Directory (call it WinInst or whatever) and copy the Contents of the CD's Win98 Folder to it, then Change Directory to it (as in step 9) and run Setup from there to prevent Windows from asking for the CD whenever you Add/Remove Windows Components.

HTH (and hope this is right - again, in a hurry)

edit - Forgot - not sure, but you might have to set the Sata to IDE mode in the BIOS.

Mmmm ill try this., just tell me what is a Logical Drive and why i have to format if the disk is new? Thank u in advance :thumbup

Read some of this. A New disk has to be "initialized (an MBR created) so an OS (any OS) can be booted. An Active Partition (Primary) is the Partition where a single OS will boot to and is considered (in and of itself) a Logical Drive (e.g. C-drive). An Extended Partition is just a "holding place" for other Logical Drives (similar to Primary Partitions/Drives) and will have, e.g. D-drive, E-drive, etc. All Logical Drives (including Primary Paritions) have to be formatted to store data (needs to have a Directory Structure initialized).

HTH

(and believe me when I say this is a VERY rough explanation! p.s. StarMan is one of the "Gurus", as is Jaclaz, RLoew, and many others.)

Read some of this. A New disk has to be "initialized (an MBR created) so an OS (any OS) can be booted. An Active Partition (Primary) is the Partition where a single OS will boot to and is considered (in and of itself) a Logical Drive (e.g. C-drive). An Extended Partition is just a "holding place" for other Logical Drives (similar to Primary Partitions/Drives) and will have, e.g. D-drive, E-drive, etc. All Logical Drives (including Primary Paritions) have to be formatted to store data (needs to have a Directory Structure initialized).

HTH

(and believe me when I say this is a VERY rough explanation! p.s. StarMan is one of the "Gurus", as is Jaclaz, RLoew, and many others.)

Thank u a lot for the help. i think i understood everyhting until 10 - Format both partitions, what i have to tipe? :lol::blink: