Unflashable BIOS

Octopuss

I got a real WTF?! situation here. Recently a no longer used PC from our customer ended up here and while I was routinely checking it, I found out none of the diagnostic utilities I use (HWInfo32, CPU-Z, AIDA64...) was able to identify the board or BIOS at all. After some digging in the PC's guts (hell I hate desktops, especially these slim ones) I found out the board was Intel D945GCNL. Allright, so I went to Intel's site and downloaded latest BIOS fro the board. Ran the file... and ooops! Error message saying it's not possible to continue as it's not for this board. Are you kidding?! Tried few other (older) ones with same result. Ok , something stinks here, I thought. Downloaded the recovery BIOS image, placed it on a flash drive, removed jumper from the board as recovery instructions said, rebooted and... and nothing. Jeez. I have no idea what is wrong here. I can't even see the BIOS version in the BIOS itself! That field is completely blank.

Anyone has any idea?

I had the same kind of problem with intel board and the only way to flash it was to boot from CD in dos mode. If i did the same thing with usb drive or key it never worked also i needed to remove all card and peripherals from the MB.

Then the flash process did not work as they said it was frozen at its ends trying to reboot. I had to power it off after more than one hour. Then i needed to remove the bios battery to be able to boot again to see the bios wasn't updated. I did a bios reset and was able to flash it from cd and this time it worked. I'll never buy an intel MB again, they definitely don't know how to make them and they should let a MB manufacturer( like asus/gigabyte/msi ....) make them.

Edited by allen2

Go into the BIOS and post the BIOS ID string. I might actually have some of those boards here. An example BIOS ID string is like this:

IDG4510H.86A.0127.0209.1609

You can also get this information from the "Bios Version/Date" item in the System Summary when you run msinfo32 from Windows.