Win XP Pro w/silent Office 2003 Install - Solved!

Mobes

If you've already gone through ORK (Office Resource Kit), then you almost have a silent unattended install of Office. Now,

1. create a batch file and name it, say batch.cmd

2. Put it in the root of the folder (next to I386) and inside add the following line

REM Office 2003
start /wait %Source%$OEM$\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

shutdown -r -t 70 -c "Restarting in..." -f

and save it. The last line will allow restart of the PC in 70 sec. to allow the applying of all settings.

3. Next to batch.cmd and I386 create the $OEM$ folder and inside it make a folder called Office2003 (no spaces) where the setup files will be. This is all done before you start nLite.

4. In nLite (pic #20 of the picture guide from my previous post) paste this command

cmd /R %source%batch.cmd

and click Add. That's about it; it tells nLite to run the batch file which will install Office during first logon.

I know it sounds a bit complicated, but it's really late here. Take it step by step and you can't miss.

Cheers

N.B. This procedure presupposes that you call the batch file batch.cmd, the ORK unattended file unattended.mst and the files location is just as described.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Ok. This is going to probably sound pretty dumb. But, where exactly do I create the batch file and how do I create it? Is it in notepad?

Also not sure what you mean by "next to i386" and "next to batch.cmd"?? This is where my source files for Office are located including my unattended.mst

H:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP

Is the $OEM$ folder you mention below in addition to the one I mention?

Thanks

By using this

H:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP

you are making the Office folder copy to the system hard drive (C:\) and install from there. What I showed you is a way to install directly from the CD, without copying to HDD, which saves a bit of time.

As to how to create a batch file, yes, open Notepad, enter the lines and, after clicking save as..., enter batch.cmd as a title.

Is the $OEM$ folder you mention below in addition to the one I mention?
It is the same one, the one and only ;)

Cheers

Hey SpoiledBrat,

Pls bear with me.

Since I do already have the Office files copied to my hard drive, how will that change the command? I'm also confused as to where the batch.cmd folder and $OEM$ folder are supposed to be placed. When you say next to I386 is that in my Clean Source before nlite?

I did create the batch.cmd file with the exact commands you listed. I now have it saved to my desktop. Will the commands change since my source is not the disk?

Thanks!

Mobes

Since I do already have the Office files copied to my hard drive, how will that change the command?
Use this
REM Office 2003
start /wait H:\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

(assuming H:\ is the HDD where the files are copied; If it is C:\, change the letter in the command as well). To modify the command inside the batch file, right-click it and click Edit. Don't forget to save after that ;)

I'm also confused as to where the batch.cmd folder and $OEM$ folder are supposed to be placed. When you say next to I386 is that in my Clean Source before nlite?
Yep. nLite won't touch them; in fact, nLite even creates the $OEM$ folder if you don't already have it, for some of its own operations.

As I said, it was very late and I could have overseen adding a few things here and there, but you're getting there :thumbup

Don't forget to test, and more importantly, to report back.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Good morning or evening! Working on it now.

H is the hard drive I'm working from. But, my filepath to the Office files is the one I setup from the tutorial I used "H:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP". Seems I should be using this, right?

The above file path is currently at the root of the H HDD. Should I essentially have $OEM$\$1\Applications\OfficeXP next to the i386 folder? This would put my Office files along with the "unattended.mst" with my Source files.

Do I still need to have this?

create the $OEM$ folder and inside it make a folder called Office2003 (no spaces) where the setup files will be.

I feel like I'm slowly getting there! But, slow is better than not getting there! Thanks to your assistance. :DI know this probably isn't the forum, but I would like to understand the commands and what they perform. I'm sure that will help me too.

Thought I would share what I have before going too much further.

In my Source Folder I added the following:

batch.cmd with the following commands:

REM Office 2003

start /wait H:\install\Applications\OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

I also added the folders, $OEM$\Office2003. These are empty. Shouldn't my Office files be in the $OEM$\Office2003??

Sorry for the extremely long post! I really do appreciate your help. This has been a great learning experience!

Thanks

Mobes

Edited by Mobes

H is the hard drive I'm working from. But, my filepath to the Office files is the one I setup from the tutorial I used "H:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP". Seems I should be using this, right?

It doesn't matter which HDD you're working from at the moment, what matters is the drive letter of the HDD you will install Windows on. That's where the Office folder will be copied to, so you need to get it right.

To use that batch.cmd (as you requested), inside the $OEM$ create a folder $1, inside it a folder install, inside it Applications, inside it OfficeXP. Within OfficeXP copy the Office setup files.

I also added the folders, $OEM$\Office2003. These are empty. Shouldn't my Office files be in the $OEM$\Office2003??
As explained, you won't use Office2003, but the other instead, so you can delete it.

Cheers

Ok. Gave it a shot and the run once did not work for me. I'm sure I don't have the correct path. Windows installed just fine.

I do have the $OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP file path with the Office files included in my Source File. Batch.cmd is also included in my Source File.

I'm attaching my Last Session for you to take a look at.

Thanks,

Mobes

LAST SESSION.INI

Actually, the Batch.cmd (batch file) and my Office files are located with the i386 and remaining Windows files (clean source). That was why I didn't use %source%.

I do have the $OEM$\$1\install\Applications\OfficeXP file path with the Office files included in my Source File. Batch.cmd is also included in my Source File.

Do I need to use the file path to my Batch.cmd in the Run Once, ie. cmd /r %H%:\XPCD\batch.cmd?

Thanks

The order of things should be like this:

1. you call (through nLite) the batch file from the CD;

2. the batch file calls Office's setup.exe (from the HDD).

I was really hoping to avoid all this; that's why I suggested you run everything from the CD :wacko:

Once you start Windows install from the CD, it becomes %source% (meaning the source of Windows). The last post is a bit confusing to me, so I'd ask you to take a screenshot of the folder where your XP install resides (your working folder). If possible, make a screenshot after opening the folder through Windows Explorer (press WinLogo-key+E). I just want to make sure of the proper paths and that $OEM$ is not inside of I386, but next to it.

Cheers

SpoiledBrat. I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it really is.

I've tried to figure out how to make a screenshot my working folder but cannot figure out how to.

I definitely have the $OEM$ folder at the root of my Source file as well as the Batch.cmd file. They are not in the i386 folder.

1. you call (through nLite) the batch file from the CD;

2. the batch file calls Office's setup.exe (from the HDD).

When you say call through nLite the batch file from the CD, do you mean physically having the CD in the tray? The Office files are located in the $OEM$ filepath mentioned before on my HDD (H:). I thought once the Office Files were copied to the HDD I would not need the CD??

I'm feeling pretty :} . Although, I'm sure I'll get it!

Mobes

To make a screenshot: open what you need, hit the PrintScreen button on your keyboard, open MS Paint and paste it there.

When you say call through nLite the batch file from the CD, do you mean physically having the CD in the tray? The Office files are located in the $OEM$ filepath mentioned before on my HDD (H:). I thought once the Office Files were copied to the HDD I would not need the CD??

1. Yes.

2. The Office files need to be on the CD, so they can copy themselves to that file path. Otherwise the Windows install will delete them (while formatting the HDD before installing Windows).

3. We are trying to install Windows and Office unattended, meaning with no work on your part, which means while the install CD is still in the tray, setup will install Windows, restart, begin first logon, install Office, restart. At this point you can remove the CD.

Ok. I still could not print screen, not sure why. But as mentioned I started from scratch. I have the following:

1. Copied Office files from the CD to my Source file for nLite: H:\XPCD\$OEM$\Office2003. Also the unattended.mst is located here. XPCD is my Source.

2. Batch.cmd is also with my Source file for nLite. In it I have: REM Office 2003

start /wait %Source%$OEM$\Office2003\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn

3. Office CD is in Tray.

Also, both of the above are NOT in the i386 folder but next to the i386 along with other typical Windows files.

Mobes

SpoiledBrat,

Got a pic for you. I am on a laptop and forgot about the Fn Key! :whistle:

Let me know if you need more info.

Ok. Just realized the attachment is too large. How can I it get to you?

Edited by Mobes