USB-stick filesystem & dual-boot

Hello everyone everywhere,

I am just a little confused: Recently I copied a larger amount of small files (~10kb and smaller) to an USB-stick (via USB2.0). But it proceeded soo sloow....

Is this because of the Fat32-system?! (that's what I read somewhere) And is there anything that helps?!

How should the USB-stick be formatted?!? Could anyone recommed a program for this job?

Beside this I think of making a dual-boot machine. Is it true that win98se only works with Fat32 and winxp only with Ntfs?!?

thanks & bye

flipp

Hello everyone everywhere,

I am just a little confused: Recently I copied a larger amount of small files (~10kb and smaller) to an USB-stick (via USB2.0). But it proceeded soo sloow....

Is this because of the Fat32-system?! (that's what I read somewhere) And is there anything that helps?!

How should the USB-stick be formatted?!? Could anyone recommed a program for this job?

Beside this I think of making a dual-boot machine. Is it true that win98se only works with Fat32 and winxp only with Ntfs?!?

thanks & bye

flipp

Yep, you are definitely confused.

Windows 9x/Me is currently compatible ONLY with FAT12/FAT16/FAT32, though there are tools to access (NOT boot from) NTFS.

Windows NT 3.5 and 4.0 only have FAT12/FAT16 and NTFS (and early version) thoutgh there are tools to access (NOT boot from) FAT32.

WIndows 2K and later support natively FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 AND NTFS.

Transfer speed of a USB device depends on FOUR things:

1. actual BUS speed (hardware of the PC)
  2. actual device speed (hardware of the USB stick, NOT all sticks are the same)
  3. actual driver speed (depending on OS)
  4. actual size of files (several smallish files are slower than few bigger ones)

The filesystem used in my experience is actually not as relevant as the above, compare:

If you want to boot from the USB stick, RMPREPUSB is recommended, but you can choose among several ones, listed here:

http://reboot.pro/9460/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz