Hangs and Blue Screens after Windows Update

[FMC]Ravage

Alright so I reloaded windows on my HTPC, installed all the latest drivers (except for vid card, more on that later) and installed the 500 billion hotfixes. After the first round of hotfixes, everything seemed to be fine. However, as you know, after the first reboot there's usually more hotfixes and updates for other software that was selected (.net framework, wmp...). After that, something seemed to happen. The computer will start up normally and go right to the desktop. But..If you try to do anything, nothing happens. If I goto IE, it will launch but it won't function (like it's frozen). If I go to system properties or my computer, nothing happens (startup programs also don't load). After about a minute - everything starts working again and all the programs and windows open all at once. Now here's the kicker. If there is a video card driver installed - it will bluescreen within a couple minutes after it becomes "unfrozen". I did not have this problem before I formatted (and didn't keep it up-to-date). So it has to be something from windows update.

Ok I think I narrowed it down to .net framwork 4 (it was the last thing I checked of course :D). When I removed it the pause at startup went away and I haven't had any blue screens yet. I reinstalled it to make sure....and the pause returnned immediately.

There's something definatly wrong with the xp version of dotnet4.

Never had any issues with it - do you have any .net-based apps installed (that may start at logon or startup, especially)? I've installed (and used) .net4 on XP SP3 systems for a while now with no issues, so this could perhaps be an app issue.

No it was on a fresh install, that's what was weird. It feels like something is using 100% of the cpu and then suddenly stops (even though no process is actually using more then 1-5%). I'm not sure if there is a conflict with dotnet4 and a hotfix or what.

I am still getting the blue screens (ati driver) so it must be a separate issue. Are there any known issues with with the 10.12 drivers + XP? (I have a radeon 3850 in it)

Actually, did you install just the ATI driver manually, or did you install the ATI driver using the installer? If so, a lot of the ATI components *are* .net components, including the control panel. That might explain why the ATI driver is "causing" the crash...

Ravage' timestamp='1293053228' post='950634']

There's something definatly wrong with the xp version of dotnet4.

In a way this is indeed true. I found a dependency issue between it and the other dotnets (specifically 3 or 3.5 I think). I found problems (I don't think blue screens, but lockups and the like) when I tried to remove dotnet4. To fix what I had, I ended up having to wipe all dotnet versions (using the DotNet Cleanup Tool) and reinstall sequentially (1.1 then 2.0/3.5, then 4), and then apply all the dotnet updates from there.

I don't know if that helps, but probably worth trying.

You can download the .NET cleanup tool here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

".Net Runtime Optimization Service" in Services. It's running and won't quit until it's finished "optimizing". Google it... The suggested "fix" is to disable it immediately after install and before reboot. V-2.x started installing this...