Updating windows 32bit to 64bit

BobGiovanni

Hi all,

I currently have a machine running XP-32bit. It has been installed/configured via my IT dept for use over the corporate network.

I wish to upgrade the machine to XP-64bit, so that I can utilise more RAM in my machine and benefit slightly from the 64bit processor in the machine!

My question then is, is there a way that I can either upgrade the current installation upto a 64-bit operation without having to do a fresh install..

Or can I 'export' the settings currently in the O/S that determine how it 'logs on' (currently I get a logon box on start up with a list of the comapny domains/active server directory) and apply these to an unattended installation for XP 64bit.

Just to add, before anyone suggests asking the IT dept to carry this out... they wont/dont have an XP 64bit installation. so wont support it.

However, I will be able to get a genuine corporate license key for XP64bit.

Thanks for any help.

I know you can export out your NIC settings, I don't think you can save the logon settings, but honestly its not to hard to do. After you reinstall x64 your Network Admin (or whoever) joins the PC to the domain, and then Windows will automatically use a logon screen when you start up. This logon screen is the behaviour that XP changes to once added to a domain.

My question then is, is there a way that I can either upgrade the current installation upto a 64-bit operation without having to do a fresh install..
Nope, there is no upgrade path between 32-bit and 64-bit (or vice versa), regardless of the version.
Or can I 'export' the settings currently in the O/S that determine how it 'logs on' (currently I get a logon box on start up with a list of the comapny domains/active server directory) and apply these to an unattended installation for XP 64bit.
As you can't do an in-place upgrade this is effectively a new machine, so if you have a domain environment then your problem is going to be getting a Domain Admin to join the new OS installation to the domain so it can be trusted.

I don't understand your way thinking:

- If you install an unsupported system, you'll have to maintain it yourself.

- most 32 bit software don't need more than 3Gb of ram (and that's the maximal amount you get with 32bit XP)

- you'll have you have to either join the domain at your work but also comply to their security rules

- if you are printing with print servers, you won't be able to do it anymore as 32bit print drivers don't work on x64.

- if you still need to install an x64 OS, why not installing Windows 7 ?

- you'll need x64 antivirus as most of them need a specific version for x64 OS.

- and then if you're caught, you'll may be fired as in some companies, playing with some rules is a fault.

The right way for doing something similar would be booting from CD or usb.

they wont/dont have an XP 64bit installation. so wont support it.

However, I will be able to get a genuine corporate license key for XP64bit.

Your IT dept buys multiple licences for something they won't install ? :huh:

They probably have a volume license for Windows plus the additional Software Assurance included, which in general pays for a license for the latest version *or* the ability to install previous supported versions during their support lifecycle (XP x64 is still within it's extended support lifecycle, and thus would be installable if the enterprise VL agreement includes the Windows license + Software Assurance). It's the right to a license for Windows, just not a specific version. So yes, they've bought a license for Windows for something they won't install - however, it wasn't done specifically that way.

Thanks all for the replies..

I know you can export out your NIC settings, I don't think you can save the logon settings, but honestly its not to hard to do. After you reinstall x64 your Network Admin (or whoever) joins the PC to the domain, and then Windows will automatically use a logon screen when you start up. This logon screen is the behaviour that XP changes to once added to a domain.

Nope, there is no upgrade path between 32-bit and 64-bit (or vice versa), regardless of the version.
As you can't do an in-place upgrade this is effectively a new machine, so if you have a domain environment then your problem is going to be getting a Domain Admin to join the new OS installation to the domain so it can be trusted.

To the above, I am not privy to the concept of becoming allowed in the trusted domain? what exactly does this entail?

Logically I would have thought these settings are maintained somewhere on the local machine at the moment, would it not be possible to export these out?

I don't understand your way thinking:

- If you install an unsupported system, you'll have to maintain it yourself.

- most 32 bit software don't need more than 3Gb of ram (and that's the maximal amount you get with 32bit XP)

- you'll have you have to either join the domain at your work but also comply to their security rules

- if you are printing with print servers, you won't be able to do it anymore as 32bit print drivers don't work on x64.

- if you still need to install an x64 OS, why not installing Windows 7 ?

- you'll need x64 antivirus as most of them need a specific version for x64 OS.

- and then if you're caught, you'll may be fired as in some companies, playing with some rules is a fault.

The right way for doing something similar would be booting from CD or usb.

Company Politics! It is questionable - but having read the explicit rules on software, I see nothing against running a different version of XP. 7 is specifically not allowed though.

Security wise this wont be a problem, i've checked and the software will run correctly. Maintaing the machine also wont be a difficulty.

The exact benefit is that the machine in 32bit for will not support >3gb, for the applications I am using it would be of great benefit to work with a larger amount.

Booting from CD/USB isn't a viable option - I will not be able to access any network resources this way.

They probably have a volume license for Windows plus the additional Software Assurance included, which in general pays for a license for the latest version *or* the ability to install previous supported versions during their support lifecycle (XP x64 is still within it's extended support lifecycle, and thus would be installable if the enterprise VL agreement includes the Windows license + Software Assurance). It's the right to a license for Windows, just not a specific version. So yes, they've bought a license for Windows for something they won't install - however, it wasn't done specifically that way.

That sort of thing yeah.

I would have thought these settings are maintained somewhere on the local machine at the moment, would it not be possible to export these out?

No. Once reinstalled, you will need someone from your IT dept to "join your machine to the domain". So, depending how far the concept of "not supported", you might run out of option. You might want to ask those question before wasting your time.