DVD Drive won't read data or music CDs

I am running Windows XP SP 3. A few days ago, the DVD drive, a LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-4115 stopped reading music and data CDs. On rare occasion,

a music CD will play, but is very choppy.

The odd thing is DVDs are reading and writing just fine. I am not getting any error messages from Windows, and the device manager says there is

nothing wrong with the drive. The only thing I have done is blow some air into the DVD drive, but that did not help. The driver has not been updated

and is the original shipped with Windows XP when the computer was bought?

Is it time to replace the unit, or does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

• 6 months later...

I am running Windows XP SP 3. A few days ago, the DVD drive, a LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-4115 stopped reading music and data CDs. On rare occasion,

a music CD will play, but is very choppy.

The odd thing is DVDs are reading and writing just fine. I am not getting any error messages from Windows, and the device manager says there is

nothing wrong with the drive. The only thing I have done is blow some air into the DVD drive, but that did not help. The driver has not been updated

and is the original shipped with Windows XP when the computer was bought?

Is it time to replace the unit, or does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Have you found a solution yet? I have a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S and about an hour ago the same thing started happening. Read a music CD flawlessly, now suddenly all the music CDs show up as blank.

It appears to read from the drive for a good minute before responding. IsoBuster couldn't even see the disc contents.

Have you found a solution yet? I have a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S and about an hour ago the same thing started happening. Read a music CD flawlessly, now suddenly all the music CDs show up as blank.

It appears to read from the drive for a good minute before responding. IsoBuster couldn't even see the disc contents.

It is possible that the CD laser (or it's circuit) has failed.

DVD writers have TWO laser diodes.

It is perfectly possible that one of the two has died while the other is still perfectly operational.

See:

http://www.die4laser.com/dvd-rec/DissectionofaDVDwriter.htm

jaclaz