Unexpected Error Line 769

eagle0042

Hello! :hello:

I am trying to install XP SP3 via USB. I have an nLited installation (for some unattended-ness, and I added drivers, but the SP3 was built into the CD itself.)

I am trying to install XP to (several, 19 of them to be exact!) HP nx6325 laptops. I figured that a USB installation would go much quicker. I was able to

create a bootable USB drive, by using WinSetupFromUSB. Currently, the drive is formatted as NTFS, but I have tried using FAT32 previously, to no

avail. The computer successfully detects the USB drive as a hard drive, and boots into grub4DOS. At first, I selected the entry for the installation, then

on the second screen, I picked the first entry (for the text mode setup).

However, the computer seems to freeze at "Setup is determining your hardware configuration..." (I waited for 15 minutes, and it didnt move), and the

light on the USB drive flashes constantly. So, I then decided to try the Plop boot manager. Plop successfully gets into the setup, and very quickly

zips thru the "Setup is determining...", as well as where all the setup files are loaded. However, right before the installation would normally begin to

ask questions, the setup shows the message:

"An unexpected error (769) has occurred at

line 5182 in D:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\setup.c

Press any key to continue"

With a Google search, I found several things other people have tried. Some have mentioned that the message above was only a indicator that the BIOS

supported USB booting normally. However, after I pressed a key, the setup throws a BSOD, with STOP 0000007B error.

I made sure that the MBR was not locked (it wasn't). And I also decided to try the standard CD-ROM method (which got me past the point that the USB

drive did). I also moved a standard XP installation to the USB drive, only for it to fail at the same point.

So, my question is, has anyone else had this problem? and how did they fix it? :blink:

Thanks

Edited by eagle0042

after I pressed a key, the setup throws a BSOD, with STOP 0000007B error.

Try FAQ Q3:

I tried this, but I am not sure where to place it. Since I used WinSetupFromUSB, do I need to place the modified NTDETECT in the WINSETUP folder, in the ISO file, or in the root of the USB drive?

In the small ISO file and in the \WINSETUP\XP...\I386 folder.

@ilko_t

Im not sure I replaced both. I'll try that.

EDIT #1 : Alright, I just double checked the NTDETECT in the small ISO, and in the "\WINSETUP\...\I386" folder, and both match the modified hex code and file size.

Hi... you can find some help from this link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137064

@pankaj

Thanks, but I've already tried that:

...However, after I pressed a key, the setup throws a BSOD, with STOP 0000007B error.

I made sure that the MBR was not locked (it wasn't)....

EDIT #2: I've tried several things since my last post. I integrated the mass storage drivers pack into the installation.

I disabled the card reader, with no luck. I tried forcing USB 1.1 with PLOP, but only mode 2 even

finds the USB drive. When using Mode 2, the install no longer shows a BSOD, but comes to a screen that says:

"Setup has encountered an error and cannot continue.

Contact technical support for assistance. The following

status codes will assist them in diagnosing the problem:

(0x4, 0x1, 0, 0)

Setup cannot continue. Shut down or restart your computer."

Also when using Mode 2, the light on the USB drive goes off for a few seconds before the screen above appears, then

right before the screen appears, the light comes back on. The light does not go off when using standard Plop (not forcing USB1.1), but

the setup throws a BSOD.

Just thought I would add this infomation, in case it helps.

My next thing to try is to test a stock SP3 on the USB, using a modified NTDETECT, but I suspect it will blue screen as well....

Edited by eagle0042

I have tried all of the above solutions.

Remember:

The manufacturer dosn't support XP USB install.

And different BIOS gives different results.

Did you tried WinSetupFromUSB vers. 0.2.3?

Did you tried all sticky solutions?

Hm. No, I was using 1.0beta6...I must have missed the big red letters that say *STABLE*...lol...I'll try using 0.2.3, and see if I yield any results.

I read somewhere that the text mode setup goes into a "protected mode" right before asking for which partition to install from. Is this true? and is it related to the cause of the BSOD?

I've tried USB_MultiBoot. but it always told me that the drive wasn't formatted correctly, even when I let PEtoUSB or the HP tool format the drive for me.

Sticky solutions? Can you point me in the right direction?

UPDATE: I just tried the 0.2.3 version, and I couldn't even get into the text portion of the setup. Without Plop, the USB drive either loads ridiculously slow, or not at all. The light on the USB drive flashes constantly, but nothing happens, and I let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

Edited by eagle0042

In addition- try various PLoP versions. On my machines 5.0.10 works on one of them where 5.0.11 fails and vice versa.

Added:

title Start PLoP boot manager
find --set-root --ignore-cd /plpbt.bin
kernel /plpbt.bin

Extract plpbt.bin to USB drive root from PLoP zip archive:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

Thanks for the tip on multiple versions, as the 5.0.10 works, but it only goes about 2 steps further. At the bottom, the text mode now shows "Setup is starting Windows", where

it waits a long time, before showing BSOD PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, with a STOP of 0x0000006B.

I'll see about trying a stock SP3, maybe it has something to do with my nLite version....

Update: Doesn't work with stock SP3 either.

Try the attached plpbt.bin, no need to press ctrl+a, it will auto start.

0x6B reminds me of removed manual install and upgrade option in nLite which must not be used, at least not with 0.X.X versions of WinSetupFromUSB and USB_multiboot. Check pinned FAQs topic.

plpbt.zip

Try the attached plpbt.bin, no need to press ctrl+a, it will auto start.

0x6B reminds me of removed manual install and upgrade option in nLite which must not be used, at least not with 0.X.X versions of WinSetupFromUSB and USB_multiboot. Check pinned FAQs topic.

The plpbt.bin that you attached will not load. When selected from grub4dos, it loads nothing.

Screen says at the top:

Booting Start PLoP boot manager

(hd0,0)

[Linux-zImage, setup=0x800, size=0x9f9e]

and the USB drive light flashes constantly.

The manual install and upgrade option is not checked, as I had seen that on the forums before I created my my nLite installation.