Generate multiple-editions install.wim from a single PC

Hi all,

I keep a fully updated and configured "technician PC" with Win7 Home. From time to time, I sysprep it and then imagex /capture to create a new install.wim

The problem is that this only generates a "Win 7 Home" install.wim! Is it possible to generate a install.wim for a different edition (let's say "Starter") from the same PC?

Thanks

Hi all,

I keep a fully updated and configured "technician PC" with Win7 Home. From time to time, I sysprep it and then imagex /capture to create a new install.wim

The problem is that this only generates a "Win 7 Home" install.wim! Is it possible to generate a install.wim for a different edition (let's say "Starter") from the same PC?

Thanks

No that is not possible, when you installed only 1 image from Install.wim would have been used i,e, Win7 Home.

I feared that. It's a very disappointing limit since it forces to manage a different installation for each SKU :no:

Thank you anyway for your reply :)

I'll put everything on hold then. If someone find out something, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Try to install, config and capture starter image.

After apply image to target PC use Anutime Upprage to upprage Windows to need SCU. It`s reallu work!

To anytime uprage work any key valid to target scu (target SCU ultimate - need oem/slp oem/retail ultimate key)

Work only uprage scu. Downgrade scu not work.

Are you preinstalling things into the WIM that you could perhaps install afterwards? If you're simply re-updating it because you need to update patch levels or constantly-changing apps, it would be better to script those post-install. Microsoft actually makes a tool to do just this in MDT 2010.