no signal to monitor...

gted23

computer specs are:

CPU : AMD Sempron™ 3100+ Processor

(256KB L2 cache, 1.8GHz, 1600MHz system bus)

Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home SP2

Chipset : NVIDIA® Crush 51

Memory : 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB) 400MHz (PC3200)+ 1GB DDR ram

Hard Drive : 100GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache) + 320GB seagate hdd

Optical Drive : 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW drive (up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)

Media Reader : 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Micro Drive, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, Compact Flash, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)

Video : NVIDIA® GeForce®™ 6100 GPU

Up to 128MB of shared video memory

PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available

Sound : 6-channel (5.1) AC'97 audio

Network : 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN

Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem

My computer knowledge is low.

Last week the power went out for my whole set up and when the power came back on, the computer came back on with the fans spinning and everything running except the monitor. I turned it off then back on a few times and it managed to start normally. This past Sunday while playing a game, during the switch between game resolution to lobby resolution, the screen went completely black but i could still hear some game sounds. I turned off my computer using the power button press for 5 seconds. Then tried turning it back on and it was like the day the power went out. The fans all start running right away, the cpu fan used to take a few seconds and would start after what i thought was the hard drives booting up. I don't really hear if the hard drives are spinning since the cpu fan is rather loud. The front hard drive activity light is on as soon as the power comes on and stays on. I cannot see anything on the screen. No bios setup, nothing. My monitor just thinks it's off. I tried to see how long it would all stay in that state. I only tried up to 5 minutes but it stayed the same throughout; fans spinning, possibly hard drives spinning.

I tried out a few guides on the internet. I removed my ram cleaned it and put it back one by one. That didn't work. I also removed the cmos battery and that didn't work either. I haven't tried much else except cleaning most of the surface dust off. A friend told me it might be the powersupply acting up or graphics card breaking down. But it's integrated graphics and someone else told me that if its an integrated graphics card then i'd have to replace the whole cpu or something like that. I need help T_T thanks.

Welcome the the Forums.

Now, about your problem as it really is a problem;

The first thing that comes up in my head is your chipset on the motherboard that could be the problem. Probably it's a Socket 754 based motherboard that uses DDR1 RAM. Good thing is that you still can find a motherboard for a Socket 754 CPU on eBay for less than 40USD new.

Now, before you go to get another motherboard you better check your Power Supply Unit and RAM. If you have another PSU then try that one first. The RAM you can check with MEMtest x86 (free).

The system had his years and is ready for a change...

EDIT: This looks like a slick deal, but you need a PCI-E video card too AND an ATX size case.

I have to agree with puntoMX. I had this exact problem a couple months ago and the motherboard was at fault. But you should check the RAM, power supply, and CPU before assuming it's the motherboard.

And make sure that your monitor cable is securely connected (no bent or missing pins). A cable is easier and cheaper to replace than any of the components above. :)

Edited by 5eraph

I removed my ram cleaned it and put it back one by one. That didn't work. I also removed the cmos battery and that didn't work either. I haven't tried much else ...

I was going to ask why not do the same with the VGA card but then you add ...it's integrated. :(

If you can get a dirt cheap AGP card to test, do it. If not, as the system is 5 years old, it might be time for an upgrade indeed or to buy an equivalent mobo.

... But you should check the RAM, power supply, and CPU before assuming it's the motherboard.

CPU will actually be hard to kill, this is why you would see way more outdated CPUs on ebay than the motherboards for it.

As a side note: nVidia didn't leave the chipset market with it's tale behind his legs for nothing; too much problems in a lot of there devisions, hiding behind "We will from now on focus on our video chipset market". If they would sell their product directly to the end-users they would have changed their name ;), but they were/are hiding behind motherboard builders so no lawsuit would hit them that direct. Just saying, but that's how I see it. I must say it was the best back then to go with nVidia as VIA and SiS didn't even come close to perform that well...

:angel

I've never removed my vga cable from my monitor or computer in the past 4 years, don't think it's that but i'll give it a try. I removed my ram sticks, cleaned them, and replaced them one by one to see if one or the other was busted but it didnt change anything. I might get a professional to take a look at it and at least diagnose it. I would really like to save some more of my information before scrapping the whole system T_T

I would really like to save some more of my information before scrapping the whole system T_T

You can (or ask someone to) put your hard disk in someone elses computer and copy your data across. From there on rememer to always keep backups of your important data.

Edited by BlouBul

EDIT: This looks like a slick deal, but you need a PCI-E video card too AND an ATX size case.

Read that again, there are still lots of cheap parts that would be an upgrade at the same time. You don't need to reinstall your OS when you get those 2 things I linked to. Just make sure it fits in your computer housing.

ASK before you let a pro look at it how much it will be, if he or she charges 50 bucks then buy that motherboard and video card to replace your old stuff. No use to spend 50 bucks on it while it's almost certain it's the mobo...