Seagate 750Gb one partition is RAW after BSY fix

So I do a bsy fix on another drive and everything seemed fine.

The drive showed up and I can see the files.

The problem is it showed up with one partition...the large one ~690Gb.

Now..this drive is from a system and they usually have a second small partition for backup.

So I run testdisk and it finds both partitions. I do a 'write' partition table.

Now both partitions show up and get drive letters assigned.

The problem...

The small 10Gb partition I can navigate through no problem, but the big partition is inaccessible and shows up as RAW in computer management.

Before the partition table 'write' I could navigate through the large partition no problem. I did not backup the partition table before doing the write.

Any ideas how to get the large partition to work again?

Edited by SkylineRB26DETT

Before the partition table 'write' I could navigate through the large partition no problem. I did not backup the partition table before doing the write.

NOT a good idea.

Any ideas how to get the large partition to work again?

I assume this second partition was NTFS.

Run again TESTDISK.

See what it finds.

Check that the last sector in the NTFS (copy of bootsector) is the same of the actual bootsector (if any)

Otherwise get from it the "sectors before" and recreate a suitable partition entry.

If you post some actual DATA, I may be able to help you with actually helping advice.

See here for an example of a similar recovery:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=141687

jaclaz

Thanks for the quick reply. The hdd was running Win Vista 64.

Here is what it looked like before I 'wrote' the partition table...I should have left it alone since the 'recover partition' does not need a drive letter. I thought since it didn't come up as a viewable partition with a drive letter that there was something wrong.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3140/partitionssk.jpg

Here is what it looks like now... :(

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3228/nowpu.jpg

Here are screenshots from test disk.

Originally the large partition was bootable, but now it states the small one is. I tried changing that, but it always reverts back.

62538263.jpg

The boot sectors are identical because I copied them.

33499903.jpg

71753250.jpg

25025573.jpg

I tried to list the files.

61762610.jpg

Tried repair MFT.

96367180.jpg

thanks for your time

Here is what it looked like before I 'wrote' the partition table...I should have left it alone since the 'recover partition' does not need a drive letter. I thought since it didn't come up as a viewable partition with a drive letter that there was something wrong.

Next time use a "proper" tool :whistling::

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10169

Originally the large partition was bootable, but now it states the small one is. I tried changing that, but it always reverts back.

Changed "how"?

It seems like "something else".

You have not by any chance fiddled with XP on a Vista partitioned drive?

There are a few hiccups in doing that, though cannot say if they would apply to your current situation.

You seemingly have a correct partition entry for the partition in the MBR.

You seemingly have a valid bootsector (at least this is what testdisk reports).

But I need to have a look at them to make sure.

Get Tiny Hexer:

(and my small scripts for it)

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8734

Check the MBR with PTview.

Post the values you see.

Save a copy of the MBR and of the first sector of the bootsector, put it inside a .zip archive and attach it to your next post.

jaclaz

Next time use a "proper" tool :whistling::

Are you talking about instead of Computer Management?

Changed "how"?

In testdisk you can change from (P)rimary to (*)bootable with the right and left arrows.

It seems like "something else".

You have not by any chance fiddled with XP on a Vista partitioned drive?

There are a few hiccups in doing that, though cannot say if they would apply to your current situation.

NO, I'm using Win7 x64

You seemingly have a correct partition entry for the partition in the MBR.

You seemingly have a valid bootsector (at least this is what testdisk reports).

But I need to have a look at them to make sure.

Get Tiny Hexer:

(and my small scripts for it)

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8734

Check the MBR with PTview.

Post the values you see.

Save a copy of the MBR and of the first sector of the bootsector, put it inside a .zip archive and attach it to your next post.

jaclaz

I will do this when I get home. Thanks!

Hi jaclaz,

In my second post when I posted this screenshot...

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3140/partitionssk.jpg

I didn't realize the recovery partition was hidden, which is why it didn't get a drive letter assigned. This is the whole reason I checked in testdisk and 'wrote' the partition...because I thought it was missing. Everything was fine and now there's a mess. I wonder why testdisk wrote wrong partition info.

Anyway...attached are zip folders of files from tiny hexer. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to run it on the drive itself or the partition that is not showing up. I did it for both.

Here are screenshots...

The drive itself...

ptview.jpg

firstsector.jpg

The partition coming up as RAW...

firstsectorpartition2.jpg

partitiontabledataparti.jpg

drive0 partition2.zip

drive0.zip

The MBR DATA seems correct. The code is "strange" at first sight, but it shouldn't matter and can anyway be fixed allright with MBRFIX.

There was a misunderstanding. :(

I meant "post the actual sectors", not the view of them.

I.E. in the normal Tinyhexer view choose "Save as" and post the two resulting 512 bytes files (MBR and bootsector).

The Partition table viewer only applies to a MBR (with partition table ;) ) and not to a boot sector (as you can see in the second "beeblebrox like" screenshot, numbers are "random".

Once I have the bootsector data I can point you to other locations to check.

After you have these sectors saved:

To reset the initial status (before the changes) in the MBR:

In the "PTview" view, click on the 07 in row #0 column "Type", a 07 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 12.

In the "PTview" view, click on the 80 in row #0 column "Boot", a 80 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 00.

In the "PTview" view, click on the 00 in row #0 column "Boot", a 00 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 80.

jaclaz

I.E. in the normal Tinyhexer view choose "Save as" and post the two resulting 512 bytes files (MBR and bootsector).

Attached is a zip with the 'save as' files from tinyhexer. One is for the entire drive and the other for partition 2.

After you have these sectors saved:

In the "PTview" view, click on the 07 in row #0 column "Type", a 07 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 12.

In the "PTview" view, click on the 80 in row #0 column "Boot", a 80 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 00.

In the "PTview" view, click on the 00 in row #0 column "Boot", a 00 in the hex view will be highlighted, overwrite it with 80.

Before I change anything this is what it looks like now after I started the computer...the 80h is in row two now.

partitiontabledata.jpg

Should I still change the 07h to 12h?

drive1.zip

Before I change anything this is what it looks like now after I started the computer...the 80h is in row two now.

Which means that the changes you did before are now effective. :thumbup

Should I still change the 07h to 12h?

Well, that's entirely up to you, hidden partitions should stay hidden (they are meant to stay hidden by design).

You can use the apps in the given link if you want to temporarily mount it in order to access it, but there should be no reason normally to fiddle with it.

The bootsector data seems ok.

The $MFT should be at absolute sector (786432*8 + 20482875) if accessing the Physical drive or 786432*8=6291456 if accessing partition.

The first thing you should see there is "FILE*" or "FILE0".

if opened the whole disk:

File->Disk->Goto Sector->26774331

or if opened the partition:

File->Disk->Goto Sector->6291456

Test disk should be able to check and fix this kind of errors:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_NTFS_Boot_and_MFT_Repair

Try running it as per above, and see what it reports.

jaclaz

Which means that the changes you did before are now effective. :thumbup

Jaclaz, I did not change anything yet... ever. The 80h swapped spots by itself after restarting the computer.

Test disk should be able to check and fix this kind of errors:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_NTFS_Boot_and_MFT_Repair

Try running it as per above, and see what it reports.

I've tried this twice already with negative results. It takes like 6 hours to complete and nothing changes.

This is what you wrote a few posts ago...

Did you want to say row #1 in any of those lines above or are all changes in row #0?

Jaclaz, I did not change anything yet... ever. The 80h swapped spots by itself after restarting the computer.

Well, no, things don't get swapped by themselves, most probably you did not refresh the whatever you were viewing it with after the TESTDISK change,

I've tried this twice already with negative results. It takes like 6 hours to complete and nothing changes.

Well, no, usually TESTDISK asks what you want it to do, then reports something and then asks for a confirmation before doing potentially destructive things.

I need to know what happens, what TESTDISK reports, as I cannot see your screen from this distance ;).

If you already ran it maybe that is the thing that created the problem.

Did you want to say row #1 in any of those lines above or are all changes in row #0?

Yep, typo :blushing: third is row #1, but since the boot has already swithced all you want (eventually) to do is to chqnge the 07 of the hidden partition back to 12.

Let's try to sum up:

• the MBR DATA (the only thing that is actually needed for the moment) seems OK
  • the first sector of the bootsector seems OK
  • the first MFT entry ( the one on absolute sector 26774331) needs still to be checked

The only other things that may have gone "beserk" are:

1. the other 15 sectors of the NTFS bootsector (possible, but unlikely)
  2. the MBR CODE (but that should be completely irrelevant)

For the 1st you can try repairing the bootsector with bootsect.exe.

For the 2nd you can restore a "standard" MBR with MBRFIX:

http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

OF COURSE, you should always make a backup of the things you are going to change (the two files you saved are already a backup, but you should also backup the other 15 sectors, i.e. access the partition, loading this time 16 sectors in Tiny Hexer instead of the default one, and do the Save as).

A seemingly stupid question, have you tried connecting that hard disk to another PC (or after having booted to another OS)?

Can it not be that you have something running (or in the Registry) that prevents the mounting of that partiton?

jaclaz

This is what it looks like now, which is correct.

ptd.jpg

Here is absolute sector 26774331...

26774331.jpg

When trying to repair the MFT it says 'MFT and MFT mirror are bad. Failed to repair them'.

When I said the process takes 6 hours I was talking about the 'rebuild BS' command. Sorry.

When saving the 15 sectors do I just click 'next sector' 15 times while doing a 'save as' every sector?

I will try the tools mentioned.

Thank you very much for your help thus far btw. :hello:

Edited by SkylineRB26DETT

The only other things that may have gone "beserk" are:

1. the other 15 sectors of the NTFS bootsector (possible, but unlikely)
  2. the MBR CODE (but that should be completely irrelevant)

For the 1st you can try repairing the bootsector with bootsect.exe.

For the 2nd you can restore a "standard" MBR with MBRFIX:

http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

Which commands do I use in those tools?

This one ??...

MbrFix /drive <num> /partition <part> fixbootsector <os> 

As for bootsect I am unsure.

A seemingly stupid question, have you tried connecting that hard disk to another PC (or after having booted to another OS)?

Can it not be that you have something running (or in the Registry) that prevents the mounting of that partiton?

I have tried a different PC with same results. :(

When saving the 15 sectors do I just click 'next sector' 15 times while doing a 'save as' every sector?

you should also backup the other 15 sectors, i.e. access the partition, loading this time 16 sectors in Tiny Hexer instead of the default one, and do the Save as).

Check thoroughfully the pop-up when you want to mount a disk or large image file as disk, you can choose how many sectors you want to load.

I will re-check the calculations, but maybe we have found somehow the culprit.

The $MFT should be there, according to the data in the bootsector.

Now what could have happened? :unsure:

Possibilities:

1. the $MFT Mirror was corrupt and somehow you overwrote the $MFT with it
  2. BOTH the $MFT and $MFT Mirror were somehow corrupt
  3. the bootsector got corrupt somehow and now holds incorrect data about the location of the $MFT

more of the above together.

I just re-checked (doing also a check with a virtual drive) and the location of the $MFT is correct, as well as the whole first sector of the bootsector.

I wonder what can have happened. :unsure:

You can try loading the disk in Tiny Hexer (the whole disk), load just one sector (the MBR), then go to Edit->Find/Replace set the box "Text", in the dropdown box choose "DOS 8 bits" and enter the search text "FILE0" (without quotes, that's FILE with appended a 0 - zero) it will tell you it didn't find it in current loaded sector, press "Yes to all" it will load and scan the whole hard disk until it finds the searched text, it will take a lot of time, be warned.

If it is found, please save the sector on which it is found and post it in a .zip, post also the sector number where it's found.

If we can understand WHAT happened maybe we may be able to rebuild the structure, otherwise you will have to use file-based recovery, I'm afraid :(.

jaclaz

it will take a lot of time, be warned.

My calculations...about 130 days if it has to scan the whole drive. :blink:

If we can understand WHAT happened maybe we may be able to rebuild the structure, otherwise you will have to use file-based recovery, I'm afraid :(.

You mean like photorec? Where all files are just dumped into folders while losing the file name?