W7 64 Bit

Hi MAVERICKS CHOICE,

My 2 cents...

I'm also interested in this as during my unattened installations I was ending up with 2 program files directoris. I understand the reason for the 2 different Program Files directories (32bit v 64bit), but I imagined that only NEW 32 bit applications would go into the "Program Files(x86)".

I've just right now checked a *manually* installed Windows 7 installation (bog standard installation), and sure enough it has both directories with the same sub folders (Common Files, Internet Explorer, MSBuild, Reference Assembles....).

So, my conclusion is that the files are needed by Windows and shouldn't be deleted (else why would it install them!) and secondly, it is not a phenomenon from an unattended installation.

Cheers

Bob

If you got rid of the Program Files (x86) folder, the following 32bit apps (at the least) would not work:

• Internet Explorer (and any apps that rely on it's engine)
  • Windows Media Player (or anything relying on it's codecs)
  • InstallShield installers that require anything in the \Common Files subdirs to be there
  • Help in 32bit apps
  • ADO/OLE32 in 32bit apps
  • .NET apps that are 32bit
  • 32bit Windows Sidebar applets
  • Virtual PC

There are probably more, but these are a few that would stop working if you did this.

If you got rid of the Program Files (x86) folder, the following 32bit apps (at the least) would not work:

• Internet Explorer (and any apps that rely on it's engine)
  • Windows Media Player (or anything relying on it's codecs)
  • InstallShield installers that require anything in the \Common Files subdirs to be there
  • Help in 32bit apps
  • ADO/OLE32 in 32bit apps
  • .NET apps that are 32bit
  • 32bit Windows Sidebar applets
  • Virtual PC

There are probably more, but these are a few that would stop working if you did this.

@ Cluberti

Not saying your wrong but have noticed all those default programs you mention are present in both Program files 64bit & program x86? I have no intention of deleting the entire x86 directory only what's within, as from time to time will require to add some x86 program etc.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

Not saying your wrong but have noticed all those default programs you mention are present in both Program files 64bit & program x86? I have no intention of deleting the entire x86 directory only what's within, as from time to time will require to add some x86 program etc.

Yes, they are in both - but a lot of those are the defaults (rather than their 64bit counterparts) like IE or WMP. Removing Program Files (x86) will likely do more harm than good, although if you want to try it and report back the results, that might be interesting.