[RESOLVED] AutoUnattend.xml ignored - flat install.

I have successfully installed W7 x64 Ultimate from a flat(from a HDD partition). Unfortunately Setup ignored my AutoUnattend.xml. I was asked to accept the EULA, provide PW, computer name, key, etc. None of my run at first logon executed. The files placed into $OEM$ did get copied to their proper locations. None of the drivers that were injected (including the RAID) were present. For some history of my trials on flat install, please see my older thread. I am thinking I must place the AutoUnattend.xml some other place for a flat install. Currently I place it into the main folder and into the mount folder when boot.wim (#2) is mounted. These same set of files installs and runs just fine from a USB stick. I would much appreciate any ideas and help. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

See if this is any help?

Tripredacus, thanks much! I need to do some more research (don't even know what WinRE is) but it sounds like I should rename AutoUnattend.xml to Unattend.xml and place it into my boot.wim (#1, WinPE). I did try AutoUnattend.xml into the boot.wim(#1) and was still asked for my RAID drive, so I quit. Thanks, John.

Easier to mount boot.wim index 2 and add your autounattend.xml to it, this bug also happens if you use a usb hdd (non flash drive)

ricktendo64, thanks but as I stated in my first post my AutoUnattend.xml is in my boot.wim (#2) - learned this in your video for USB. My USB stick install works fine. I will try renaming to Unattend.xml. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I have tried several things but continue to be asked for my RAID driver. Setup does seem to be using the Unattend.xml when I run the setup.exe in the Sources folder (no asking for EULA accept) and have the Unattend.xml file in my boot.wim#1. I went ahead and did a brute force and placed it in the boot.wim#2, at the root of the main folder and in the Sources folder (I used the command line from Tripredacus). I suspect the fact that the RAID driver is not being picked up indicates that all my drivers are missing. I have some more work and trials to do. Thanks all.

EDIT again: After further inspection, I see that the drivers are present. I still do not know why Setup cannot find the RAID drivers (3Ware-LSI). These drivers are unsigned and they were injected with the ForceUnsigned switch.

Edited by johnhc

Easier to mount boot.wim index 2 and add your autounattend.xml to it, this bug also happens if you use a usb hdd (non flash drive)

ricktendo64, thanks but as I stated in my first post my AutoUnattend.xml is in my boot.wim (#2) - learned this in your video for USB. My USB stick install works fine. I will try renaming to Unattend.xml. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I have tried several things but continue to be asked for my RAID driver. Setup does seem to be using the Unattend.xml when I run the setup.exe in the Sources folder (no asking for EULA accept) and have the Unattend.xml file in my boot.wim#1. I went ahead and did a brute force and placed it in the boot.wim#2, at the root of the main folder and in the Sources folder (I used the command line from Tripredacus). I suspect the fact that the RAID driver is not being picked up indicates that all my drivers are missing. I have some more work and trials to do. Thanks all.

EDIT again: After further inspection, I see that the drivers are present. I still do not know why Setup cannot find the RAID drivers (3Ware-LSI). These drivers are unsigned and they were injected with the ForceUnsigned switch.

Have you injected drivers into boot.wim image 2

Have you injected drivers into boot.wim image 2

urie, yes I have and even into boot.wim#1. Thanks, John.

EDIT: By adding the following code to my Unattend.xml file, I appear to have gotten past the request for the RAID driver. I am no longer asked for the driver but I did not allow Setup to continue and will try the complete install later. I placed this code in the WindowsPE pass:

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsWinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DriverPaths>
<PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="1">
<Path>E:\W7_Components\Build_Components\Unsigned_Drivers\3Ware</Path>
</PathAndCredentials>
</DriverPaths>
</component>

Edited by johnhc

I have managed to complete a flat install of W7 Ultimate x64 that is fully unattended, except for partition selection. The problems with not finding my Unattend.xml and RAID driver are resolved. All of my automated installs worked also. I assume since the install was started from my XP x64 system, the drive letter assignments are the same as they are on the XP system. That is, my XP system disk is C but the system disk on the W7 system is F which is the same letter I see for the partition from the XP system. Surprised me at first and I worried I had not been consistent about using symbolic names versus using letters (eg, C:). So far I have found only one in an install. This is a way to clobber some files on my XP system while installing W7. Setup will not allow manipulation of partitions when doing a flat install. In fact, a message on the partition selection screen says that if partition alteration is required, then boot the DVD. This means a partition cannot be created, deleted or formated. It also means that if an OS is installed on the partition prior, then Setup copies all files/folder to a Windows.old folder. My first install resulted in a 16 GB folder being created. My latest install, I used Disk Manager to format the partition to prevent this. Here are the important steps:

• Formated a small partition so all my install files/folders were on the root. This was needed to preserve compatibility with installing the same source from a DVD or USB stick.
  • Added code to my unattended file providing the path to my RAID driver. See xml code above.
  • Called setup.exe from a command line -> W:\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE /UNATTEND:W:\FlatUnattend.xml This came from Tripredacus - see link above.
  • Virtual Disk Service must be set to at least Manual.

Thanks to all who helped, especially Tripredacus. Enjoy, John.