Half open tcp/ip connections

Luxman

Hi everyone.

Could someone please advise me how I go about checking how many half-open tcp/ip connections I'm currently configured for?

Thanks very much.

Edited by Luxman

As far as i know, if you have tcpip.sys from sp2 or later it is 10 and unlimited otherwise.

Thank you for your posting - although it does not answer my enquiry.

Actually, it does. If you have XPSP2 or more, you have 10 open connections (this change was introduced in SP2). Unless you have made changes in the TCP/IP connections, that's the number.

Edit: if all you need is a tool to check (as GrofLuigi recommended), why didn't you say so? Here's one I've tried out of curiosity (I usually use the built-in one in nLite) http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2009/01/download-latest-version.html

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Most of the patchers report the current value and allow you to abort. In fact, I've just tested one of them for you and it left no traces after the aborted operation, neither in registry nor in filesystem. Another one operates in a similar way (this function is in the menus).

But, there is always the risk that Microsoft issues newer versions of tpcpip.sys that confuse the tools. So far, as far as I know, they still work well.

GL

Thanks for the links. I was just wondering if there was a simpler way (via registry) to check the current limit. Mine if obviously at 10 (Event 4226).

Edited by Luxman

Thanks for the links. I was just wondering if there was a simpler way (via registry) to check the current limit. Mine if obviously at 10 (Event 4226).

There is no simpler way, because there's nothing in the registry. It's in the tcpip.sys file itself.

GL

By defalut windows xp home allows 5 concurrent connections; windows xp pro 10. There is a hack of tcpip.sys that removes this limit i believe, been a long time ive used it because you dont need more than 10 concurrent connections on a client.

XP SP2 was supposed to increase the limit on RDP connections. By default windows xp only allows 1 concurrent rdp connection i believe, they were supposed to increase that to 2 but it was removed from SP2, and of course SP3.

It seems people are confuzing the 2 things. Microsoft has never changed the concurrent connection limit in windows.