How to change the path of boot.ini?

cgbp

I used usb multiboot 10 to create my USB-WinXP.

I encountered the hal.dll is missing or corrupt msg. I managed to fix this by changing the rdisk value (thanks to here).

But now I found out I have to permanently attach the USB thumbdrive to my Dell and let USB has the 1st boot priority.

If I so much as change the 1st priority to the hdd or remove the thumbdrive, it will not boot into WinXP.

Seems like Windows is pointed to boot from the boot.ini found in the thumbdrive.

HOw do I fix this?

Thank you very much 4 reading.

I followed my usb installation from here:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

Regarding the hal.dll issue, it says:

Known Problems

If you get the hal.dll not found error message, start again from your USB-Drive and choose option 2 “Gui-Installation” which should work now. (If option 2 doesn't work choose option 4 and “Windows XP from HD” on the next screen.) Follow the installation process until you reach a usable windows desktop. The error message is misleading, it's nothing wrong with your hal.dll - your boot.ini has a corrupted entry which is easy to fix:

Search for boot.ini (normally it's located on C:\)

Open the boot.ini

Delete the line that referres to “Windows-USB-Boot” - it should be the last line

Save & Exit

Your Eee should now boot Windows normally without the pen drive.

* Note for anyone with an error relating to “dsfo.exe not found” - copy the file USB_MultiBoot_9/makebt/dsfo.exe to USB_MultiBoot_9/dsfo.exe

Verified on an Asus Eee 701 4G and Asus Eee 900 20G

But I do not hv Windows-USB-Boot in my boot.ini.

Here's my boot.ini:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=3

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT

C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"

C:\btsec\XATSP.bs="Attended Setup XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"

Edited by cgbp

If I so much as change the 1st priority to the hdd or remove the thumbdrive, it will not boot into WinXP.

What happens instead?

Like, nothing, a flashing cursor an error messsage (which?) white text on black background, an error message (which?) white text on blue background?

Do files:

• NTLDR
  • BOOT.INI
  • NTDETECT.COM

exist in root of the hard disk?

If no, add them there, if yes which are the contents of that BOOT.INI?

jaclaz