nLite : OOBE skipped even if I want see him

Nethan

Hello,

It will probably sound unusual on this forum ^^, but I want to keep the OOBE section after the installation of my unattended Windows XP CD.

I always use nLite, and I have "Skip OOBE" unchecked. All components about Windows Activation & OOBE are protected from removal (normaly). It was recommended by the nLite FAQ (section "why is OOBE skipped"). Also, Autologon is off...

But still, OOBE don't want be launched on the final CD.

The most curious, is that I get this screen on an old Windows CD that I created too by nLite and with nearly the same options ! (apart some components and patches. I use Winmerge to compare them)

So I don't understand why, but now it refuses to appear :wacko: and I don't manage to see why. It is not that I can't do without of course, but if there is a way to restore it, I would appreciate ^^

I attach in this topic my nLite file, if that can help.

Cordialy,

Nethan

Windows Conventionnel v3.ini

Edited by Nethan

ricktendo64, the OP says AutoLogon is off, and the .ini file indicates it is not enabled. I am not familiar with use of OOBE. Does this make a difference?

Nethan, I have the same OOBE set up as you do, but I do use AutoLogon. What does "But still, OOBE don't want be launched on the final CD." mean? I don't see anything that I attribute to OOBE. What do I need to do to launch OOBE? I see you are running nLite under XP x64 (or W2003). I don't know if this is a problem, but could you do a quick trial under XP (32 bit)? Enjoy, John.

Oups, cross-posting with johnhc ^^

johnhc >

I mean by OOBE, the part of the installation where Windows asks you to create one to five users, and try to activate himself, before the first login. Actually on my last CDs created by nLite, this part is skipped but it shouldn't be.

Does this make a difference ? Not really, I can live without it even if I create some users, I can create them manually, but I post this topic to see if someone would have an idea to correct it if it was possible. I frakking hate bugs ^^

I don't know if the fact that launch nLite on a x64 system change something, but I will make a try when I can on a 32b system.

Ponch >

I start with a XP Pro 32 bits with the SP3 slipstreamed in. OOBE works fine if I don't use nLite (I have to use Driverpack nevertheless - no floppy drive - so make it an ISO, but it don't change the result : it works). OOBE also works fine on my old nLited CD who has the same XP Pro as base, and I don't see any difference on the Lastsession.ini files who could explain why it don't work on my last nLited CDs. I am sure that it is a component that I removed, but I have no idea what it can be, and don't have the courage to test one by one ^^ so also why I post ^^.

Apart that, I use at least one more user. I can create the user by myself, so it is not a critical problem. It is just that I hate bugs, and as nLite has some problems, I am curious about any problem.

Edited by Nethan

Nethan, I don't really think it is an XP x64 problem. Do that test only if you have some spare time. I don't see your integrating SP3. Did you do this at another time? It is OK to run nLite to integrate SP3 (or manually integrate it with the /I switch), then run nLite against it. But, running nLite multiple times against the same source is a bad idea. I do not see any OOBE activity and I use AutoLogon. I suspect the AutoLogon is your problem. Try without it and let us know. Enjoy, John.

Ok, only at spare time ^^ In all cases, I will do everything only the next time I need to add/remove security patches. OOBE is not critical ^^

Yes, it is a XP Pro CD with SP3 slipstreamed manually since a while, sorry for the confusion. I don't know if it would be better to have a XP/SP3 directly & officialy integrated but it is not something I can get actually anyway :/ So yes, I use my version as base, but I don't launch nLite on the same source multiple times, I "restart" each time it needed (like patches).

For the Autologon, I have already it at off/none as I stated in my first post (username : none, and count at 0). Did you mean to try WITH it ?

Edited by Nethan

Nethan, no, I just screwed up! I realized at supper that I have a cranial-rectal inversion and said just the opposite of what I already knew. Right now, the only thing I can think of to try is a different Unattended Mode. Please read the help text for it and see if you can decide if one mode would more likely work for you. I would like to see the Last Session for the older run that worked. Attach that if you have it and I'll see if I can see anything. Sorry about my screw up. Enjoy, John.

Nethan, I think I have found the problem. There is a switch in winnt.sif:

UnattendSwitch="Yes"
When "Yes", Instructs Setup to skip Windows Welcome. Windows Welcome is the XP term for OOBE. I am not sure how/when nLite sets this switch, but again I suspect it is under some Unattended Mode. I think if you edit winnt.sif after running nLite and change the "Yes" to a "No" for UnattendSwitch, you will be good to go. Please give it a try and let us know. Enjoy, John.

EDIT:I have done some testing on my VM (VMware Server using XP x64 host and guest). So far I have not been able to get OOBE to show. I tried Fully Unattended and no AutoLogon and the UnattendSwitch="No" was set, but I saw no OOBE. I suspect your winnt.sif will show UnattendSwitch="No", so trying to set it to "No" has no meaning. I will do some more thinking, but right now the only option I can fathom is to not create any User Account, which I now do. Please give it try - assuming you do create User Account(s). I am out of time tonight but may get a chance to try it tomorrow. Good luck, John.

Edited by johnhc

Indeed, my UnattendSwitch is already at "No".

Well, finally I know what is wrong. I made an ultimate test : The Lastsession of my first post, exactly the same, but I removed ALL hotfixes & the IE8 addon.

OOBE works now.

So there is an hotfix who screw OOBE. I will see it the next time I will update the CD...

Edited by Nethan

Nethan, I am glad you have got at the problem. I am wondering why I do not see the OOBE. I would like to see the Last Session files for the older nLite run and the latest one that worked. Thanks, John.

Thanks, Nethan. Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to run under XP x64, as the failing one with hot fixes, but include only the set of hot fixes that are in the old one that worked. I notice that the old one was run under XP (32 bit). Enjoy, John.