Cant Make Windows Xp Installaition From Usb Work

koko0

hi,

im trying to make an usb flash drive with grub menu to install xp [with WinSetupFromUSB]

the farrst i got was that in like 80% of installaition it saied "cannot copy setup.exe"

and then i can skip but...

what can cause this problem?

and btw, i cant make an xp installaion with all of the drivers [for sata \ nvidia nfocre] ? cuz its making me BSOD on installation startup

thanks!!

[i accidantly posted it in bootland...if it looks familiar...]

Edited by koko0

Is file setup.ex_ present in G:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\ ? What's file size?

Open G:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3.ISO or whatever the file name is and extract txtsetup.sif. Zip it and attach it with your reply.

It's the correct size. Copy it manually from \WinSetup\files\winsetup\PyronSetup\i386\. Some antivirus scanners still falsely detect it as a virus, so disable temporarily any antivirus software you have running.

As for redoing the ISO- it really would be quicker and safer just to redo the USB disk.

Test again and report.

If you skip that file are there any other files causing troubles? Which ones?

the TXTSETUP.SIF is too big for uploading here
Next time put it in a zip archive and then attach it ;)
Open G:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3.ISO or whatever the file name is and extract txtsetup.sif. Zip it and attach it with your reply.

Doing it now...

my panda AV doesnt recognize it as a virus its ok.

and for the zip thing...my english isnt that good and i read it fast so i combined it with the extract. :whistle:

anyway there were no other errors i checked.

should i upload the sif file again or its ok?

i will edit this post when WinSetupFromUsb ends and i will copy the file manually. thanks!!

EDIT: Not working :angry:

Edited by koko0

using qemu machine and some computers in my school...[dont worry they allow me :angel ]

no other errors.

trying 0.2.3 only if it not requiring fromatting the device...

thanks for all the help!

EDIT: ok it loades the setup.exe ... but it changed the dok mbr to start from boot.ini!!

i did something wrong?

and no i didnt install it on the dok

Edited by koko0

In order to figure out what's happening a few tests would be needed, sorry, I can't think of any other way.

First is to test with 0.2.3, which uses completely different method of installing (format or deletion of all contents of the USB disk is needed), second would be to test with a clean, unmodified source. 2003 trials are very good candidates:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033

BTW- is setup.ex_ uppercase? Try to make it if is not.

What has been changed so this time it found setup.exe?

What is "dok"? I guess your USB flash drive?

On the machine you tested, how many mass storage devices are present? Including USB card readers, internal hard disks etc. etc. ?

To fix quickly the overwritten grub4dos MBR- start the program, choose the USb stick and select only the syslinux option, nothing else, and click GO. Ignore the message about NTFS and syslinux.

Alternatively use grubinst_GUI.exe found in \winsetup\files\grub4dos to put new grub4dos MBR.

Crosslinking this topic:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11072

fixing the grub wasnt the problem.

the question was why, cuz when i wont have another windows installed its gonne be a problem.

Aw Dok is Disk On Key [in israel its called after the first company who made it] - Flash drive as u call it.

The setup.exe problem was fixed by using the 0.2.3 ver. of WinBlaBlaUSB [as you said :thumbup ]

and one more thing, the installaition was much more automatic with the previous Winblabla. how can i turn it back to it? [no f8 or press c]

EDIT: next issue...probable no ntldr or mbr on the HDD

boot only possible with the FD with "start 2nd part..."

in which stage of the installation the MBR and ntldr are made?

Edited by koko0

and one more thing, the installaition was much more automatic with the previous Winblabla. how can i turn it back to it? [no f8 or press c]
You cannot. Those are limitations with the previous version.
...next issue...probable no ntldr or mbr on the HDD

boot only possible with the FD with "start 2nd part..."

What exactly happens when you boot with the USB stick removed?

its from qemu machine so i am not sure it will happend on a real computer

but it made three different things.

something boot error pres ctrl alt del

ntlder is missing

and now its just stuck on a black secreen with a _ blinking

if its an ntldr \ mbr problem it can be fixed by coping the ntldr and mbr change right?...

thats why i asked in which stage the installaition makes them