Can't copy image of NG12 from my HD to external drive

morland

Hi (again)

In case you have read my other post(s), I am trying to sort out multiple problems (one related to Windows 7 and one related to XP).

Okay this problem is with my laptop running XP SP3 (32-bit). Just before I take the big step (of doing a fresh install) I made a image on the D:\ partition with Norton Ghost 12. All went well. Now just in case murphy strikes, I tried to copy the image folder (created by NG12) to my external USB drive. However I keep getting error message that there is no space available. In reality the size of the image file is about 14 GB whereas I

have more than 150GB available on my external usb drive. I even tried to change the attributes using a freeware called Attribute changer but am still getting the error. Is there any way to copy the image folder (which contains 2 files); norton ghost 12 users would know about this.

Thanks

Thank you jaclaz :)

This looks like it will work but i have a big concern i.e. my external HD (LaCie) contains a lot of data and also has a built-in software which came with it. I don't want to take the risk of loosing everything. I mean I am EXTREMELY grateful for your help and maybe the solution has no side effect or anything to worry about but just want to be 100%; if there is any such thing :)

SO any suggestions?

Hi guys,

Been searching and would like to share a possible solution..

Fat32 limit is 4GB. Right?

Since I don;t want to take the risk (see my comments above) so maybe I use WinRAR and make splits (smaller than the fat32 limit) and maybe then I will be able to copy.

Credit to the person who gave me this clue/possibility/idea

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope the solution will work.

@morland

No if it's one of those Network enabled drives you should NOT convert it to NTFS.

I seem to remember that GHOST can directly made SPLIT images (how would you make a backup copy of an image on CD/dvd's otherwise?)

jaclaz

Yes it's better to remake an image. If you choose your WinRAR solution, you'll need 14Gig extra disk space on an NTFS volume to extract the image prior to be able to apply it.

Edited by Ponch