nLite Stops PiFast Working

MutantTractor

Hi Guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with nlite and a program i am trying to run,

Even if i take nothing out of the XP installation with nlite but generate the ISO then install the OS i get a C++ error?

See below:

pifasterror.jpg

I cannot figure it out!

It seems to be something that nlite adds or takes out of the ISO as i change nothing in the program and just generate a straight ISO with the program and i get this error,

What does that error message mean?

I think it has something to do with Visual Basic 6.0 environment but im not sure, its like the OS isnt installing something that is needed for the program to run one it goes through nlite?

Id really apprecciate some help guys!

Cheers!

Myles

MutantTractor, please attach your Last Session as requested in the bold RED above. There is lots of information there even if you did not remove anything. I know little about C++, but I suspect you need to include some runtime components, such as this. I suspect nLite has nothing to do with your problem. Enjoy, John.

MutantTractor, I see you are running nLite under Vista (or W7) to create an ISO for XP. This can be a problem, especially if you integrate a Service Pack. Did you consider the link I posted in my first reply? Is the runtime stuff needed for PiFast? Are you sure you have the correct version of PiFast for Windows? I am low on ideas here, except to say I do not think the problem lies with nLite. Please let us know what you find. Enjoy, John.

Hi John,

Yep its running under 7 but i cant see how it would really be a problem, that said i can try it on XP if needed,

The ISO i am manipulating is an XP install with SP3 already integrated,

I tried the runtime but no luck,

Yep thats the correct version it works when i run the normal ISO under VMWare but as soon as i even use an untouched nlite SIO that is generated from the same ISO it wont work so it is DEFINATLY an nlite issue,

Regards,

Myles

MutantTractor, by not being an nLite problem, I mean nLite is not adding or removing stuff on its own as you stated in your first post. It may be the fact that you did not run under XP. I need to know some more about source. Where did the original ISO come from? Is it a legal copy of Windows with a valid key? Did you extract it and run nLite against that? When you say "normal ISO under VMWare", you mean the original ISO or some other "normal" ISO? Have you run nLite more than once against the same source folder? Please do try running nLite under XP and let us hear. Enjoy, John.

Ahh okay i understand what you mean now,

The original ISO is from a legal bought Windows XP Pro x86 SP3 disk with a legitimate key,

I took the ISO direct from the disk onto my HDD, by normal i mean the original ISO that came from the disk,

I create a new folder on each run,

Would it be possible to use the XP install on VMWare that works with PiFast to run nlite within that environment to generate the nlited ISO?

Mind bending i know but i think it could work :)

Myles

Hi John,

Just tried under XP and EXACTLY the same problem,

I would apprecciate it anyone else has used nlite to create an ISO would create a virtual machine and test out PiFast on their installaion:

http://pifast.hexus.net/hexus_pifast.zip

I really dont get it :(

So strange,

Its like its looking for a library that isnt there?

Myles

Its like its looking for a library that isnt there?

MutantTractor, I agree. Attached is a screen shot from my VMware Server VM, running XP x64. PiFast runs fine. Please attach the Last Session for this run. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I do have some extra stuff installed - attached is a screen shot of some of it.

EDIT Again: What is NoPassExpSpec in your Unattended section? I do not have this and can't tell what is by the term in the Last Session - No Password or something?

Edited by johnhc

Hi John,

Yeah it ran perfect on yours it may be the .net, C++ or MSXML

Thats no pass just means it doesnt ask for a password and is blank, might the fully automated install stop it installing some components?

I dont see why it would,

Myles

EDIT: Attached is the last session and last session_u

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by MutantTractor

MutantTractor, I have looked at pifast41.exe with Dependency Walker and found little. You might do the same and see if anything jumps out. I do get this message, but it runs just fine.

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
I do see in your Last Session that you still have removed some Components, so make another run and remove nothing. Do the Dependency Walker first. Did you not say that you ran the original ISO and it worked? This should mean that you do not need C++ or other stuff. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.