Connecting USB Printer to Router to run on Network

Hi, i want to connect my USB printer to my router so all the laptops in the house can print to it without having to physically connect the usb cable to each laptop to print.

I have a HP 2410 all in one printer which has no built in network features

HP 2410

I also have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router which doesnt have a built in print server

Link To Router

What i was thinking was to use a USB to Ethernet adaptor

USB To Ethernet Adaptor

which will connect my printer to the router, on each laptop add a new printer using the TCP/IP address and type the IP address of the port the printers connected to on the router and hopefully it will find it and install the drivers from the CD. Sounds good in theory but not sure if it will work as there will be no print server?

Alternatively if that dont work then buying a USB print server such as this

USB Print Server

Again adding a new printer using the IP address and installing the drivers.

Any ideas if this will work - any issues you can see?

What would happen if i printed 3 jobs using the usb to ethernet adaptor which has no print server - would they still join the printer job list or would that only happen if i use the usb print server?

I don't think the first option will work, since an USB to Ethernet adapter is only a bridge,

not a server (though I might be wrong...)

A real printer server would be a better solution (and will definitively work); I'm using

a router with built-in printer server (Asus WL700gE) in my network and it works great.

They're also not that expensive (might be even as expensive as a USB to Ethernet adapter).

Greetz,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi well if you have one pc that the printer in plugged into USB you can share that printer on the network and all laptop will print to it through the wireless router. Maybe that's not what you are looking for but it’s a easy way around it.