Help required installing XP with SATA drivers

felixthadog

Hi all,

I am trying to install Windows XP Pro on my brother's HP laptop but I have hit a roadblock and I can't progress any further without some help. The laptop has a SATA drive but the XP CD I have does not have any SATA drivers on it so I have downloaded the drivers from the web and copied them to a floppy disk. I boot the laptop from the XP CD and press F6 to load the SATA drivers. I select the driver from the list and everything seems OK, but once the files have been copied and I press Enter to continue setup, I receive the following message:

Please insert the disk labeled Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into Drive A: * Press Enter when ready.

I press Enter but nothing happens, and the only other option is to quit setup. I'm not sure what this error means, given that the XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive and the SATA driver disk is in the floppy drive. I don't even know where the setup is getting the "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM" label from :huh:

Any help would be most appreciated.

Matthew

To my knowledge (but hey, this is not really my field) the "F6-Additional drivers" option

only works with an original (non slip-streamed) and unmodified Windows installation CD.

It may be a backup copy of the CD, that isn't the problem, but it has to be untouched.

Another option is to use a slipstreamed CD with the extra driver(s) you need on that same

installation CD... as long as you don't intend to use F6.

I had this problem about a month ago, when I had to replace my harddisk (because of that

dreadful Seagate SATA 7200.11 problem) and tried to install XP again using a slipstreamed

Windows XP SP3 CD using a Promise SATA controler (which is not supported by default).

After doing some investigation, I found out that you can only use F6 with an unmodified CD,

so I had to use the original CD (which did work) and manually upgraded the system to SP3. :)

Greetz,

Peter.

After doing some investigation, I found out that you can only use F6 with an unmodified CD,

so I had to use the original CD (which did work) and manually upgraded the system to SP3. :)

Really? :unsure:

Can you share the source from which you came to this conclusion?

jaclaz

Sorry... wrong recollection from my side... :blushing:

You cannot use F6 ("Additional driver install") when using an unattended installation CD :whistle:

I guess it's alright when using a "Normal" slipstreamed CD (thus non-un-attended) :rolleyes:

I only had my original XP CD and a self-made unattended upgraded SP3 CD and (obviously) tried

the SP3 CD first (which failed)...

After reading about this "Shortcoming", I used my original CD instead.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Sorry... wrong recollection from my side... :blushing:

You cannot use F6 ("Additional driver install") when using an unattended installation CD :whistle:

Yep :), unless there isn't a way (robotic arm? :w00t:) to feed the floppy drive, it wouldn't make much sense to have an UNattended with F6 floppy drivers ;).

I've seen CD changers:

http://www.redfrontdoor.org/cd-changer.html

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/changer.html

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/32433

http://www.video4viet.com/watchvideo.html?id=2FDGKTtLWxs&title=Lego%20Mindstorms%20Rcx%20-%20Cd-changer

but never floppy disk changers. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

See if you have files like these on the CD:

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IP.SP1

WIN51IP.SP2

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums :hello:

The XP CD has those files in the root directory (except WIN51IP.SP1 because it is a SP2 disk)

Matthew

To my knowledge (but hey, this is not really my field) the "F6-Additional drivers" option

only works with an original (non slip-streamed) and unmodified Windows installation CD.

It may be a backup copy of the CD, that isn't the problem, but it has to be untouched.

Another option is to use a slipstreamed CD with the extra driver(s) you need on that same

installation CD... as long as you don't intend to use F6.

I had this problem about a month ago, when I had to replace my harddisk (because of that

dreadful Seagate SATA 7200.11 problem) and tried to install XP again using a slipstreamed

Windows XP SP3 CD using a Promise SATA controler (which is not supported by default).

Greetz,

Peter.

OK, I should have mentioned this in my original post - the XP CD I have is an HP-released version of XP and it comes as a 2-disk set (Operating System CD and HP Restore CD). When I boot from the Operating System CD, I am prompted to insert the HP Restore CD for validation. As a result of this, I have been unable to slipstream the SATA drivers to the Operating System CD without "breaking" the validation i.e. the slipstreamed CD is no longer seen as part of a 2-disk set, and this causes the installation to fail later on. The only option I have (other than getting another XP CD) is to add the SATA drivers via F6. I am using an external USB floppy drive (IBM) which is on the MS Compatibility List for installing drivers via F6, but I am stuck on this "Please insert ..." message and cannot progress any further with the XP installation until I figure out what part of the puzzle I am missing :(

Matthew

Edit TXTSETUP.

It will take me about 6,000 words to explain further, so it's best to look at mine and compare the non-file copy sections with your own TXTSETUP and LAYOUT files.

http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles-xp.zip

Scroll to the [strings] section

You will see

cdname = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
cd2name = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
spcdname = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
productname = "Windows XP Professional"
cdtagfile = "\win51"
cdtagfilei = "\win51"
cdtagfilem = "\win51"
spcdtagfilei= "\win51"
cd2tagfilei = "\win51"

Note that I changed everything to \win51. That's the key right there. You'll see some other neat stuff too.

You also should edit LAYOUT (don't worry, this applies to XP too):

1. go here: http://www.vorck.com/windows/2ksp5.html

2. scroll to step 14

3. start reading at "TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF file "protection." "

There is a strong possibility that your CDRom drive is not being recogzied too of course, in which case we'll need you to slipstream the drivers into TXTSETUP manually. (I probably don't need to explain that, I don't think; that's a very popular topic here at MSFN)

Edited by fdv

Edit TXTSETUP.

It will take me about 6,000 words to explain further, so it's best to look at mine and compare the non-file copy sections with your own TXTSETUP and LAYOUT files.

http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles-xp.zip

Scroll to the [strings] section

You will see

cdname = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
cd2name = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
spcdname = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
productname = "Windows XP Professional"
cdtagfile = "\win51"
cdtagfilei = "\win51"
cdtagfilem = "\win51"
spcdtagfilei= "\win51"
cd2tagfilei = "\win51"

Note that I changed everything to \win51. That's the key right there. You'll see some other neat stuff too.

You also should edit LAYOUT (don't worry, this applies to XP too):

1. go here: http://www.vorck.com/windows/2ksp5.html

2. scroll to step 14

3. start reading at "TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF file "protection." "

There is a strong possibility that your CDRom drive is not being recogzied too of course, in which case we'll need you to slipstream the drivers into TXTSETUP manually. (I probably don't need to explain that, I don't think; that's a very popular topic here at MSFN)

Please excuse my n00biness, but aren't the TXTSETUP.SIF and LAYOUT.INF files located on the XP CD? I can't make any changes to the XP CD (as mentioned in my previous post) so how can I modify those files?

I don't understand how my CD-ROM drive could not be recognized, given that I booted the laptop from the XP CD?

Matthew

I can't make any changes to the XP CD (as mentioned in my previous post)

Sorry! I read too fast I guess

I don't understand how my CD-ROM drive could not be recognized, given that I booted the laptop from the XP CD?

Initial boot would work because of the BIOS recognizing it and handing it off, but once at filecopy it's up to Windows. Anyway without editing these files I don't know how to force things... Sorry man :no:

Initial boot would work because of the BIOS recognizing it and handing it off, but once at filecopy it's up to Windows. Anyway without editing these files I don't know how to force things... Sorry man :no:

No worries, thanks for your help. It looks like I will need a full version of XP so that I can slipstream the SATA drivers :(

Matthew

Edited by felixthadog