Youtube + Firefox Version 2.00.20

esecallum

A

"Your browser is no longer supported.

Please upgrade to a modern browser|."

As you all may know youtube has dropped support for portable firefox 2.00.20 and nagged for a month to upgrade to a different browser like ie8,safri,chrome,opera,firefox 3.6,etc.

on windows me only opera and k-maleon work.

firefox 3.6 will not install on windows me.

i tried opera and k -maleon and they both work for youtube but they are clunky and both have WAY TOO MANY OPTIONS AND PANELS AND WIDGETS and other things that need to be configured for hours and hours.I mean it is just ridiculous.

also i cannot get them to look like portable firefox 2.00.20

too much feature creep.

is there a way to GET firefox 2.00.20 to report it is version 3.6?

i have not tried YET the about:config and typed version in filter and you can modify that and i was wondering if that might fool youtube?

Any ideas?

or are their things you can do to fool youtube that firefox 2.00.20 is firefox 3.6?

how do they know which version of firefox i am using?

how can we misinform them?

I had a similar problem with MySpace a while back.

There is a Firefox Addon that will solve your problem, the User Agent Switcher.

You can use it to manually set what your browser will identify itself as, known as the User Agent String.

I set mine to:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ; rv:1.9.0.14) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14

and it does away with the nag boxes.

See this site for more User Agent Strings, and my Firefox/MySpace thread for more info.

You can use it to manually set what your browser will identify itself as, known as the User Agent String.

I set mine to:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ; rv:1.9.0.14) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14

See this site for more User Agent Strings, and my Firefox/MySpace thread for more info.

How do you manage to set it to Firefox 3.0.14?

Also when the browser is closed then restarted, do the user agent settings go back to normal? in other words to we need to go into the settings each time to select.

Edited by frogman

:blink: Follow the links LoneCrusader gave you (I now put them in bold type in the quotation of his post). frusty.gif

I set mine to:

Enter the User Agent String LoneCrusader provided you, which is now bold red in the previous quotation.

It should just work. HTH

Also when the browser is closed then restarted, do the user agent settings go back to normal? in other words to we need to go into the settings each time to select.

Once the User Agent Switcher is installed and you have restarted Firefox, click Tools, then scroll down to "Default User Agent," another menu panel should appear, click "Edit User Agents," click the "New" button, choose New Folder, name it "Mozilla Firefox," then select your new folder in the list, and click "New" again, this time choose "New User Agent."

A box will appear with several blanks in it, the first one is the description. I would name it "FF 3.0.14, WinXP" then the line below it is the User Agent String. Copy and paste the string I gave you or one you have chosen from the other site I referenced into this box, overwriting the one in it, which is your current one. Then click OK twice to get back to your browser. Now the new User Agent should show up under the "Tools > Default User Agent > Mozilla Firefox" menu. Click on it to set it as your current User Agent.

When Firefox is closed and restarted, the User Agent will be set back to default, however, all you have to do to change it is click on the "Tools > Default User Agent > Mozilla Firefox" menu again, as any User Agents you set up and save will be retained.

For anyone out there who wants to keep Win98 in the User Agent for the heck of it, I found that this String works as well:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98SE; en-US; rv:1.9.0.18) Gecko/2010020220 Firefox/3.0.18

Guest wsxedcrfv

When Firefox is closed and restarted, the User Agent will be set back to default, however, all you have to do to change it is click on the "Tools > Default User Agent > Mozilla Firefox" menu again, as any User Agents you set up and save will be retained.

In the menu "Tools > Default User Agent > User Agent Switcher > Options" you can change the order or appearance of the agent lines. I'm not sure why that's useful because even when I set the new agent line to the top of the list, Firefox (or agent switcher) doesn't use it until I manually go in and select it the first time I run Firefox. Am I doing something wrong - or is there no way to have the new agent line be used automatically?

PS: If you want to help keep win-98 alive as far as web-browsing statistics goes, then you can leave the "win-98" part of your agent line alone, and just change the browser part to some version of Firefox 3 and still avoid the youtube nag message. Here's what I'm using:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14

Edited by wsxedcrfv

In the menu "Tools > Default User Agent > User Agent Switcher > Options" you can change the order or appearance of the agent lines. I'm not sure why that's useful because even when I set the new agent line to the top of the list, Firefox (or agent switcher) doesn't use it until I manually go in and select it the first time I run Firefox. Am I doing something wrong - or is there no way to have the new agent line be used automatically?

PS: If you want to help keep win-98 alive as far as web-browsing statistics goes, then you can leave the "win-98" part of your agent line alone, and just change the browser part to some version of Firefox 3 and still avoid the youtube nag message. Here's what I'm using:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14

AFAIK, there is no way to set it permanently to a different User Agent using the Switcher. There may be a way to do this by altering the registry or some file, but I don't regard it as that much of a problem, as most sites don't complain, I've only had problems or nag screens on MySpace and YouTube so far.

Apparently, as you pointed out, the browser version is all that matters, because this string works as well. :lol:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95C; en-US; rv:1.9.0.18) Gecko/2010020220 Firefox/3.0.18

AFAIK, there is no way to set it permanently to a different User Agent using the Switcher. There may be a way to do this by altering the registry or some file, but I don't regard it as that much of a problem, as most sites don't complain, I've only had problems or nag screens on MySpace and YouTube so far.

Apparently, as you pointed out, the browser version is all that matters, because this string works as well. :lol:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95C; en-US; rv:1.9.0.18) Gecko/2010020220 Firefox/3.0.18

There is a way to permanently set the User Agent :)

in the urlbar enter "about:config" ; in the filter search the line "useragentswitcher.reset.onclose", right clic on it > modify and set to false ;

restart Firefox and enjoy :D

Edited by patclash