redirect "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents" ONLY

elcoyoteloco

Hi all,

I have successfully changed the My Documents default path of C:\Documents and Settings\*****\My Documents to D:\My Documents. Every reference to the old path I could find in the registry now points to the new path.

So far, so good, except that I have a bunch of shortcuts that reference %USERPROFILE%\My Documents, which still points to the old location in my user folder in Documents and Settings. I have been researching this, but the only thing I've found is instructions to change the ProfileImagePath string in the registry (currently it is %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\*****. However, doing that would effect EVERYTHING in my user folder, not just My Documents.

So, is there a way to redirect %USERPROFILE%\My Documents, without effecting everything else in my user folder?

Thanks!

The obvious: can't you replace the reference in the shortcuts from %USERPROFILE% to the new path (in this case D:)?

Otherwise, I think the answer to your question is PROBABLY NO. :(

PROBABLY because you might be able to work something out with symbolic links (junction points), but there is a (small) chance that some programs might not interpret them correctly. And I think nothing can be done from the registry.

GL

The obvious: can't you replace the reference in the shortcuts from %USERPROFILE% to the new path (in this case D:)?

Well, sure, but there's a lot of them so it will be tedious to do so. Also, I want to make sure this doesn't become a recurring issue.

Thanks tho :)

EDIT: I think you're right, this can't be done, not without effecting the other user folders.

Edited by elcoyoteloco

Sure it's possible. Here's the reg file. Sorry, I'm too lazy to attach it as a downloadable file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Folders]

"My Pictures"="D:\\My Documents\\My Pictures"

"Personal"="D:\\My Documents"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\User Shell Folders]

[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"Save Directory"="D:\\My Documents\\"

Sure it's possible. Here's the reg file.

He's already done that. As far as I understood, he wants to change 'the definition of the paths' in Windows (not to change shortcuts - too many of them) to:

%USERPROFILE% == C:\Documents and Settings\***** (same as before)

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents == D:\My Documents

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

The problem is, those *are* the locations that would change the %userprofile% variable for a user. If you set the proper locations and things are not changing, are we sure the shortcut is still using the %userprofile%\My Documents variable, or did it change the variable to the correct path on creation?

I´M not sure about that, cause this is a HKCU-Setting:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Personal"="YourDrive\YourFolder"

I replaced my current setting with "YourDrive\YourFolder".

I´m on a german system, don`t know if I´m right about "My Documents = Eigene Dateien".

Then again, it's possible to use linkd or junction, to point this to a new location.

ren "my Documents" personallinkd "my Documents" (new path and file) 

Copy My Documents to new location.

Works like a charm.