Installing Applications not using Setupcomplete.cmd with Autounattend.

Hi all

Has anyone successfully managed to install applications during Specialize or oobesystem pass using Autounattend.xml and not using Setupcomplete.cmd ?

I know there was a guide for Vista that some guy made and that showed how to achieve this but I couldn't make it work for Windows 7.

I want to install all the apps and then run sysprep /generalize /oobe, and close the image so when I deploy it it will be sysprepped and show the welcome screen.

There are various "Synchronous" and "Asynchronous" commands you can use. Mostly the syntax is the same but each is called from a different Pass and Component pairing.

For instance. To do so from the Oobe Pass, you use Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup | LogonCommands | RunSynchronous (these do not run until install has fully completed and your user has logged in)

From the Specialize and/or Audit pass you need to instead use the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | RunSynchronous (this installs before your user is created, similar to setupcomplete.cmd)

There is yet another for WindowsPE (but do not use it, OS is not installed yet), where the command comes from Microsoft-Windows-Setup | RunSynchronous

From there, they are about the same and should look kinda like this.

<RunSynchronous>
<!-- First synchronous command to execute -->
<RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>1</Order>
<Path>\\MyNetworkShare\MyApplication.exe</Path>
<Description>DescriptionOfMyApplication</Description>
<Credentials>
<Domain>FabrikamDomain</Domain>
<UserName>MyUserName</UserName>
<Password>MyPassword</Password>
</Credentials>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
<!-- Second synchronous command to execute -->
<RunSynchronousCommand>
<Order>2</Order>
<Path>C:\AnotherApplication.exe</Path>
<Description>DescriptionOfMyApplication</Description>
</RunSynchronousCommand>
</RunSynchronous>

Edited by MrJinje

Thanks myselfidem.

Thanks Mr Jine, it seems that yo are everywhere, here, on mydigitallife....:)

I tried a lot of times with Synchronous" and "Asynchronous" commands based on an older Vista guide(Fireguier's guide http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/95462-vista-unattended-guide/), but for some reason the setup breaks and I didn't try it anymore.

I did exactly as you say Mr Jinje, but instead I tried using RunOnceEx.cmd method from the DVD. For some reason the dvd is not recognized. Yes I did put the txt file on the root of the dvd and had set all the variables so the dvd-rom will be detected. I can't afford to use a a network share all the time, as I want this to be an universal Windows 7 install dvd.

Did you guys have issues with Microsoft-Windows-LUA-Settings in Autounattend.xml? every time I set that up to disable UAC, the setup breaks with setup was unable....[offlineservicing] error.

Ha det bra.

Edited by atolica

I want to install all the apps and then run sysprep /generalize /oobe, and close the image so when I deploy it it will be sysprepped and show the welcome screen.

Then perhaps you need to boot into auditUser and sysprep as you come out of that?

Never had problems with the LUA being disabled, but on my vlited W7 I cannot properly Remove Packages via Offline servicing using Autounattend.xml. Did you use vLite on your image as well ?

I did exactly as you say Mr Jinje, but instead I tried using RunOnceEx.cmd method from the DVD.

that's a good one bra- I did exactly as you say, "EXCEPT" I did it differently. LOL. I guess this will detect the "install.wim" on your DVD. Give it a go.

for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\sources\install.wim set MEDIA=%%i
ECHO %MEDIA%

But to be honest, I cannot figure out why you are wasting your time to script these installs at all. You clearly state in your first post that after the installation of these apps you plan to sysprep, generalize, oobe + shutdown + image the machine. To me it seems you can install all your apps and sysprep then after you capture your image that will be that.

Or are you trying to install these applications on the first boot of every machine that gets this image ? (which defeats the purpose of sysprep under certain circumstances)

Edited by MrJinje

Has anyone successfully managed to install applications during Specialize or oobesystem pass using Autounattend.xml and not using Setupcomplete.cmd ?

It goes back to this, Specialize is not the place to install applications. Right after that is what i mentioned above and thats the place to obtain what you want

During the specialize configuration pass of Microsoft® Windows® Setup, machine-specific information for the image is applied. For example, you can configure network settings, international settings, and domain information.

The specialize configuration pass is used in conjunction with the generalize Configuration Pass configuration pass. The generalize Configuration Pass pass is used to create a Windows reference image that can be used throughout an organization. From this basic Windows reference image, you can add further customizations that apply to different divisions within an organization or to different installations of Windows.

If someone has beaten that then reply and how?

I'd like to install all the apps and then syprep /oobe /generalize the machine so the user will be prompted by the the welcome screen and the new user account gets created. his way all the applications, mostly FF and some generic apps.

So I don't know when is the right time to install the applications? Specialize or oobe pass?

@maxXPsoft Icon

Why wouldn't it? The specialize pass I mean.

Never worked for me in the past, also.

Maybe auditpass? I am testing this tomorrow.

@Mrjinje

I gave up using vlite, it breaks too many things. I stuck to Autounattend.xml.

Edited by atolica

Tried that, but sorry to say it's a b***h to work with. Unfriendly interface and undocumented.

to me most simple and best application restore on the planet if you just do a little learning about Runoncex still useable in Win 7, simple but I been at this a long time, all the way from XP, I mean theres a help file with it. I don't know what others may be experiencing with it unless I am told.

I just added where it will setup help file on one of the help buttons for the ones don't see. next release

frick click any Text next to [ ] and it tells you whats going on, I don't know how to make it any simpler. 1 + 1 = 3 ?

Unattended is not for the gotta have it fast, best to take time and learn some things :hello:

Edited by maxXPsoft

I guess I didn't introduce myself

I've been dealing with RunOnceEx.cmd and unattended installations since Windows XP SP 0. I've read most of the technet documentation so I guess I am not going to do that again. Technet is not of the friendliest places to be. I just put some simple questions for some issues I had in installing applications using Firegeir's vista guide and I expected some simple answers.

I know that RunOnceEx.cmd can be run for Windows 7(doh). I'm a long time user of MDT. What I wanted to know was, when's the right time to run synchronous commands for installing applications from withing Autounattend.xml? My previous runs with that were unsuccessful. And what you said "if you just do a little learning about Runoncex" is uncalled for as I know what I'm talking here, I've been "here" before, probably more often than you. Maybe I can teach you a thing or two. I am not shouting for help, help, help as most of noobs do. Thanks but no thanks.

7UA is the worst app that does what it claims it does.

frick click any Text next to [ ] and it tells you whats going on, I don't know how to make it any simpler. 1 + 1 = 3 ?

Unattended is not for the gotta have it fast, best to take time and learn some things :hello:

Are you for real??!?! Unbelievable. Loose the tone buddy!

I guess I'm back to testing and testing.

Edited by atolica

I know that RunOnceEx.cmd can be run for Windows 7(doh). What I wanted to know was, when's the right time to do that? My previous runs with that were unsuccessful.

Hello, McFly, is there anybody in there ???

biff.jpg

The Windows 7 way of doing things is using the SetupComplete.cmd, not the ancient outdated XP method of "RunOnceEx.cmd". So don't expect an answer for your question, because you specifically asked for answers "not using SetupComplete.cmd".

But since the cat's out of the bag now, I guess you can take your RunOnceEx.cmd, rename it to SetupComplete.cmd, and place it in the DVD\Sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd and be done with it. You would have gotten that for an answer long time ago, had you not phrased your question as you did.