SFC files missing

l33boy

Hi guy's, managed to make a really good slipstream package that virtually installs itself :-)

Thanks to everyone who contributes to making the software and hotfix patches, excellent work!

One question though... does the process remove the SFC files completely from the register or just disable them?

I disabled SFC on my package and now they are completely missing....

Cheers

Lee

l33boy, what do you mean SFC files are missing from the Registry? I disable SFC in nLite Options, then after install, I enable it again. So, I think nothing is removed, only disabled. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and you should attach your Last Session as requested at the top in RED. Enjoy, John.

From what I know, "Disable SFC" removes files needed to run the service, like most options in nLite. Reusing nLite on the new files shows the option is greyed out which prooves my point (even if some chockingly call me wrong :D ). I don't know what Johnhc is using, maybe something to reinstall it afterwards ? I know there were some threads about switching it on/off but can't seem to find them.

@Ponch

Maybe if you call it WFP instead of SFC, you can find something ;):

Then, you may want to try again searching for SFC :whistle::

Obviously half the links on them have gone beserk, but if you are interested you can re-build 'em:

There were some problems with them not so long ago:

And now, thanks to the good IPB developers we have now a whole new syntax for friendly names :w00t:, totally different from old ones, but you should get the hang of it easily.

:hello:

jaclaz

Ponch is mostly correct. The link jaclaz referenced (shown below) is a old thread by me. Apparently nLite does not delete any files but does modify the sfc_os.dll. Enjoy, John.

Then, you may want to try again searching for SFC :whistle::

Hi guy's, thanks for all the responses, sorry I didn't get back here sooner.

OK, so I did another without the SFC disable and it didn't take much longer to load than the last one.

All SFC files intact.

Fantastic bit of software this nlite :-)

My laptop is now like lightening !

Thanks again

Lee

Just a quick bit of info that might be helpful, I don't know.

These two keys control whether WFP is on or off. Simply use an invalid path like Z:\ to shut WFP off. These keys do NOT exist by default.

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"

To turn it back on, point the path back to dllcache.

Edited by fdv

Fred, I am not sure to understand what you posted (or what MS writes ;)), the effect of pointing those Registry entries to "a suffusion of yellow" seems from this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193/en-us

like being that nothing is found in the DDLCACHE folder and THEN a search for installation is performed AND IF file not found THEN installation media is required:

If WFP detects a file change and the affected file is not in the cache folder, WFP examines the version of the changed file that the operating system is currently using. If the file that is currently in use is the correct version, WFP copies that version of the file to the cache folder. If the file that is currently in use is not the correct version, or if the file is not cached in the cache folder, WFP tries to locate the installation source. If WFP cannot find the installation source, WFP prompts an administrator to insert the appropriate media to replace the file or the cached file version.

:unsure:

jaclaz