Program that can split large .flac or .wav files?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Is there any public-domain software that runs on win-98 that can take a .cue file and corresponding large wave or flac file and extract the individual tracks? I don't think that "Flac frontend" v1.7.1 can do this, and something called "Medieval CUE Splitter" will install on my win-98 system but I get a "EAccessViolation" when I try to run it. dbpoweramp music converter can convert the file from wave to mp3, but doesn't seem to be able to use the .cue file to split the output into individual tracks.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Yea, well wavosaur did not work. I tried to use it to open a .wav file (700-odd mb in size). After 90 seconds it came back, but didn't have the file open correctly (just a zero-length file).

I can convert flac <> wav <> ape using dbPoweramp, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to split files based on .cue file.

I don't know why people create entire albums as single .flac or .ape files...

------------

Maybe it's just the version of VLC that I use (0.8.6i) but it doesn't seem to have the ability to correctly open and play large .flac files.

Edited by wsxedcrfv

Yea, well wavosaur did not work. I tried to use it to open a .wav file (700-odd mb in size). After 90 seconds it came back, but didn't have the file open correctly (just a zero-length file).

I can convert flac <> wav <> ape using dbPoweramp, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to split files based on .cue file.

I don't know why people create entire albums as single .flac or .ape files...

------------

Maybe it's just the version of VLC that I use (0.8.6i) but it doesn't seem to have the ability to correctly open and play large .flac files.

Just a passing thought ...

If these editors are trying to load the whole file

into memory first...that might be the hang up?

I did notice that with Wavosaur ...no hard drive

activity light till I was done editing.

i was going to try streaming a cassette tape

into one large wav file to see if it could handle

it. But all this snow keeps up staging my plans. :realmad:

Calling for another 6 to 12 inches tomorow.

Jake

I like Fredledingue's solution. But I'd like to add that all you need is one CD-RW to put it in practice as a general solution: burn, copy (or rip) all that interests you, then erase the CD-RW, and you're all set to start anew with another such file.

If it's only for one or two times, the best way is still to burn the cue file and get it away with the cd.

But yes it's silly to put everything in a single file.

Sometimes one shouldn't try to understand what they have in mind.

Excellent idea! :thumbup

/Rant

Now I'll go back and shovel some more snow.

Snow plows push from street to walks.

We shovel from the walks to the street.

Ain't life grand!

/End Rant

Jake

Dencorso, if the cd image makes more than 650 Mb, you are still stuck with one time cd-r.

Well, that explains why Nero In-CD formats to a little over 600mb

Triger, the mad snowplower and his crow will push the snow back faster than you can shovel it!

Ain't you just a ray of sunshine :hello: .... but as it turns out,

we gained the upper hand. While leaning on my shovel, sipping

a hot chocolate....neighbors garage door opens and here he comes

with this monster snow blower his wife got him for Christmas. We

cheered and applauded as he effortlessly undid the dirty work of the

mad snowplow crews! :thumbup

Jake

Edited by triger49

• 1 month later...

Is there any public-domain software that runs on win-98 that can take a .cue file and corresponding large wave or flac file and extract the individual tracks? I don't think that "Flac frontend" v1.7.1 can do this, and something called "Medieval CUE Splitter" will install on my win-98 system but I get a "EAccessViolation" when I try to run it. dbpoweramp music converter can convert the file from wave to mp3, but doesn't seem to be able to use the .cue file to split the output into individual tracks.

Actually, I'm in the process of writing some DOS utilities that can cut and join WAV files of up to 2G in size (might work up to 4G, not sure yet). Sorry, no FLAC or CUE support is planned. No LFN support. No GUI. Cut time values are entered in seconds (decimal). So, they're fairly primitive tools. But they do handle files that are too large for the fancier tools. When the utilities are ready (should be within a week, depending on other priorities), they'll be available at : http://jds.com-t.com/general.html

Joe.

Edited by jds

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've just updated the WAVEDIT utilities to include CUE file support (ImgBurn or directly compatible file format). Unless there are bugs to fix, that'll be the last update.

Joe.

Actually, I'm in the process of writing some DOS utilities that can cut and join WAV files of up to 2G in size (might work up to 4G, not sure yet). Sorry, no FLAC or CUE support is planned. No LFN support. No GUI. Cut time values are entered in seconds (decimal). So, they're fairly primitive tools. But they do handle files that are too large for the fancier tools. When the utilities are ready (should be within a week, depending on other priorities), they'll be available at : http://jds.com-t.com/general.html

Joe.

• 2 years later...

Exact Audio Copy can do it (Tools\Split WAV by CUE Sheet). The latest version for Win9x has problems with WAVs, but v0.95b4 works.

Edited by shae