System Safety Monitor (SSM) v2.0.8.583 Conflicts ?

Monroe

PROBLEMCHYLD ... thanks for that link, I searched through Google earlier, tried probably close to 20-25 links and came up empty. I will wait for herbalist to give his opinion conerning this "newer" version, he has the knowledge of SSM and the various versions. Thanks again ...

You welcome. Sometimes it takes me days to find certain files, because we all know Google has all the answers. LOL

Will be interested to see what you find out about the 2.0.8.585 version. I also am interested in the web pages for help in using SSM. I had taken SSM off my machines about a year ago. Those "global hook" decisions always throw me a curve. You did go into some detail in another posting about global hook decisions, if I remember and I have a copy of it somewhere. I'm not 100% sure why I decided to take SSM off my computers, maybe I ran into a new problem or something. I'm interested in putting SSM back on a computer or two to work with it again. I will wait till you get a chance to check out this "newer" version ... work on your schedule. Glad to have you around ... with all the interest and knowledge concerning SSM.

PROBLEMCHYLD ... When I was trying to find a working link for SSM v2.0.8.585 ... I also tried to locate a SSM manual or tutorial ... no luck on that also. If you come across a manual, let's me (everyone) know.

Update ... I just checked my SSM folder that I have burned to a CD. I see in that folder that I have a SSM v2.0.0 Help File which includes a Tutorial. I don't know where I got it, perhaps from herbalist. Did you have that Help File / Tutorial on a download link at one time herbalist? It's 1.43 MB in size.

Edited by duffy98

Will be interested to see what you find out about the 2.0.8.585 version. I also am interested in the web pages for help in using SSM. I had taken SSM off my machines about a year ago. Those "global hook" decisions always throw me a curve. You did go into some detail in another posting about global hook decisions, if I remember and I have a copy of it somewhere. I'm not 100% sure why I decided to take SSM off my computers, maybe I ran into a new problem or something. I'm interested in putting SSM back on a computer or two to work with it again. I will wait till you get a chance to check out this "newer" version ... work on your schedule. Glad to have you around ... with all the interest and knowledge concerning SSM.

PROBLEMCHYLD ... When I was trying to find a working link for SSM v2.0.8.585 ... I also tried to locate a SSM manual or tutorial ... no luck on that also. If you come across a manual, let's me (everyone) know.

Try this for starters.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193833&postcount=25

If the help file you found is ssmhelp-2.0.chm, it's part of the SSM install. Unfortunately, it's very incomplete and does not go into any details about how to use SSM to enforce a security policy.

The link to the outpost firewall forum describes global settings for the pro version (2.4.x), which doesn't run on 9X. The 98 compatible version doesn't have the command line parameter checking ability described in that post for RUNDLL32 (or any other executable). It doesn't have options for rule "groups" or the network access permission options. These are some of many details I'm trying to address in the tutorial.

Yesterday, I finally managed to reproduce the conflict described here and here on a virtual 98SE unit. The virtual unit uses the same updates and file versions as my primary physical unit, which does not have this problem. I have not yet determined why it's happening, but am suspecting that this could be dependent on the processor and/or chipset the system uses. I don't have the hardware variety I need to explore this possibility. If anyone else has run into this problem, could you post what processor and chipset the system contains?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

herbalist ... I guess that must be where I got that SSM Help file from ... thought I had found it on Google somewhere. I have a question about putting SSM back on my computer with the new (latest) KernelEx already installed. Should I uninstall KernelEx first, install SSM and then put KernelEx back on? What do you think? When I had SSM installed before I didn't have KernelEx on my computer. ... thanks

I have a question about putting SSM back on my computer with the new (latest) KernelEx already installed. Should I uninstall KernelEx first, install SSM and then put KernelEx back on? What do you think? When I had SSM installed before I didn't have KernelEx on my computer. ... thanks

On the Virtual PC test units I've been working on, I've tried starting with KEX 4.5RC1, 4.5 final, and updating one over the other. I've also tried installing SSM before, after and in between KEX versions. Once I learned the easy way to reliably trigger the error messages, the results were the same on the virtual systems. Changing the order they're installed had no effect. On my Dell, (P4-2.4ghz, 1GB RAM) SSM was installed first, then KEX, which has been updated several times since. On this PC, they've never conflicted. At this time, I don't have another PC available to try. Based on this limited testing, the order they're installed appears to make no difference.

Once they're both installed, the easiest way I've found to check if there's going to be a problem is to start SSM, then shut it down from the tray icon. After SSM shuts down, click on the start button. If they're conflicting, you'll see an error message and won't be able to shut down from the start menu. Will probably require a hard restart. If it does, restart the system, leaving SSM shut off. Go to the System Safety Monitor folder in Program files, and locate SysSafe.exe. Right click, select Propertiies>KernelEX, and select disable KernelEx extensions, then reboot. So far, this has worked on the limited testing I've done.

I'm glad this thread has been resurrected for SSM-specific discussions. I meant to do so during the earlier discussion about KernelEx and SSM since it got completely buried in the main KernelEx thread with lots of other non-SSM-related topics and discussion.

Regarding the conflict between SSM and KernelEx, I know it occurred on my old Toshiba laptop. Here is the requested system data per CPU-Z, v.1.56:

CPU: Intel Mobile Celeron (Coppermine) 700 MHz, Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 6

Chipset: Intel i440BX/ZX

I can't recall whether the same conflicts occurred on my desktop PC or not. I may have gone ahead and disabled KernelEx extensions for SSM as a precautionary step based on my experiences with my laptop. I'll check to see if they occur with KernelEx enabled. If they do, I'll post the same CPU/chipset data for that system.

Edited by Prozactive

System Safety Monitor Free Edition 2.0

Build 585

Bugs fixed:

* ESET SysInspector driver compatibility problems (BSOD);

Build 584

What's new:

* added Windows 2003 Sever SP2 support;

* several language updates.

Build 583

What's new:

* added tree-view in process monitor;

* several language updates.

Bugs fixed:

* registry browser status bar shows misplaced value;

* services Module: option "Alert on config change" won't persist;

* GUI performance optimization;

* "Locate" command (Application Activity dialogs, Process Monitor and Rules tab) now uses the default system shell;

* minor GUI bugs.

OK, I have another question dealing with "later" versions of SSM that no longer work with Windows 98SE. Would a later (newer) version work with Win 98SE using the KernelEx Final that came out in Dec? Could that possibly work or are those newer versions only NT versions and would it be a waste of time trying all that out. I have been looking for some newer versions like 2.3.0.609 or newer but the links are all dead. I know these are "pay" versions but I was thinking they might have a free "trial" period just to test things out. Rick, have you experimented yourself with any newer versions with KernelEx? ... I found a 2.4.0.620 Beta (Jan 25, 2008) version listed but all the download links are dead but I will keep looking around. Not sure if that might be the last version that was released.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/System-Safety-Monitor/1049832672/1

Edited by duffy98

OK, I have another question dealing with "later" versions of SSM that no longer work with Windows 98SE. Would a later (newer) version work with Win 98SE using the KernelEx Final that came out in Dec? Could that possibly work or are those newer versions only NT versions and would it be a waste of time trying all that out. I have been looking for some newer versions like 2.3.0.609 or newer but the links are all dead. I know these are "pay" versions but I was thinking they might have a free "trial" period just to test things out. Rick, have you experimented yourself with any newer versions with KernelEx? ... I found a 2.4.0.620 Beta (Jan 25, 2008) version listed but all the download links are dead but I will keep looking around. Not sure if that might be the last version that was released.

No newer versions won't work with kernelEX because you need files like userenv.dll and other NT files, but version

System Safety Monitor 2.0.8.585 will work if you replace SysSafe.exe 2.0.8.585 with 2.0.8.583. There is only a slight speed improvement and maybe a little more

resource usage. But of course I had my firewall running in the background. You should give it a go.

P.S

I change the version of 2.0.8.583 to 2.0.8.585 with resource hacker and all is fine.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD ... Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I was just thinking since I've had success with several programs using KernelEx Final ... maybe it might be worth trying the later versions of SSM. Yes, later today I am going to install the 2.0.8.585 version and get started on using SSM again.

thanks

..... I have a follow up question .... can't I just install the new 2.0.8.585 straight on ... I had ver 2.0.8.583 on some time back but took it off about a year ago. I was planning to uninstall KernelEx first and install SSM and then put KernelEx back on ... herbalist (Rick) didn't seem to have much trouble either way on the virtual machine with KernelEx installed or not installed.

Edited by duffy98

PROBLEMCHYLD ... Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I was just thinking since I've had success with several programs using KernelEx Final ... maybe it might be worth trying the later versions of SSM. Yes, later today I am going to install the 2.0.8.585 version and get started on using SSM again.

thanks

..... I have a follow up question .... can't I just install the new 2.0.8.585 straight on ... I had ver 2.0.8.583 on some time back but took it off about a year ago. I was planning to uninstall KernelEx first and install SSM and then put KernelEx back on ... herbalist (Rick) was a little vague (at least to me) on all that. He didn't seem to have much trouble either way on the virtual machine.

It will crash unless you replace the SysSafe.exe 2.0.8.585 with 2.0.8.583