Shutdown takes 2mins 15 seconds!

Ash98

So, i've nlited my XP thanks to you guys :thumbup but I have came across a problem

I've done all my speed tweaks but XP is still slower than usual.

- "Windows is shutting down" 2mins and 15 seconds! It used to take only 30 seconds! :( Clear Page file at shutdown is disabled...Please help!

Edited by Ash98

Ash98,

Maybe there are too many applications are running when you shut down your computer. It needs time to stop those before turning off itself.

It takes my computer around 15 sec to shut down.

------------------------------

Edit: correcting a grammar mistake!

Edited by Aloha

That is just one of the many reg keys that will alter how long the SCM/system waits for "hung" services/applications, the following link has many more. Though getting a dumpfile from the shutdown is a better option as you could identify the culprit rather than just muzzling it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26476...s-combined.html

I have merged the reg into the system, and will test the results now. If it doesn't work i will try Bootvis ;)

EDIT: It has gone own to 48 seconds, thanks! :P For some reason it still doesnt seem fast enough though

Edited by Ash98

Ash98, what I have seen on my systems is that when I delete (not move to Recycle) many or large files, shutdown (Windows is Shutting Down) takes a long time. The next shutdown then goes more quickly. Enjoy, John.

It seems like windows can easily get hung up during the shutdown process.

There are several registry tweaks that can speed up the process, but on that "500" previously mentioned, that's a half second. It's been reported on other forums that windows cannot and will not allow any number below 1000 (one second)

So when doing those registry tweaks, I set all those things to '1000'.

There is also a Quick Shutdown shortcut that I've put on my desktop, for years, that will also speed up the Windows XP shutdown process.

It's a version of the one I used for many years in Windows 98.

Copy and paste this line into a New Shortcut on your desktop.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

I say "copy and paste" because all the spaces in that line are important.

To turn that shortcut into a "Reboot" command, just change the -s to a -r.

For consistency with the normal shutdown procedure, I put my Quick Shutdown icon right above my START button.

My XP shuts down in 5 to 8 seconds, depending on what I've left open.

Cheers Mates!

B)