Defram Disks

as many others here , i use win98 most of the time to use the defrag software because of the fact it defrags all files and lets no holes ;'] .

i read what kind of patches and softwares some are making here , i had the idea of a software using rloew 64 bit ramdrive to do some faster defrag .

the main idea for the defram disks is that the x64 hd is added to the partition of physical drive during the defragmentation . it came to me because defrag always uses the end of drive/partition to create the space for the file it will write .

so with an example : if you have a pc with 12 Go of ram and a hd of 100 Go . you boot and install a 8 Go x64ramdisk , when defrag is launched the hard-drive gets the size of 108 Go . so instead of doing 2 reads writes on hd, it does only one because file is in memory for the reorder write .

may be the defram disk can use another real disk or partition as temp in case the ramdrive is getting full .

if ram is lower than 4 Go / may be a size option to make a skip files to ram .

so main points for the software are :

option : skip moving files no fragmented having a size above ... Mo

option : temp disk on other drive

with a gui like defrag win9x , it should have

a second bar showing defram_disk level of use

a third bar showing level of use of the temp disks

Edited by sixcentgeorge

as many others here , i use win98 most of the time to use the defrag software because of the fact it defrags all files and lets no holes ;'] .

i read what kind of patches and softwares some are making here , i had the idea of a software using rloew 64 bit ramdrive to do some faster defrag .

the main idea for the defram disks is that the x64 hd is added to the partition of physical drive during the defragmentation . it came to me because defrag always uses the end of drive/partition to create the space for the file it will write .

so with an example : if you have a pc with 12 Go of ram and a hd of 100 Go . you boot and install a 8 Go x64ramdisk , when defrag is launched the hard-drive gets the size of 108 Go . so instead of doing 2 reads writes on hd, it does only one because file is in memory for the reorder write .

may be the defram disk can use another real disk or partition as temp in case the ramdrive is getting full .

if ram is lower than 4 Go / may be a size option to make a skip files to ram .

so main points for the software are :

option : skip moving files no fragmented having a size above ... Mo

option : temp disk on other drive

with a gui like defrag win9x , it should have

a second bar showing defram_disk level of use

a third bar showing level of use of the temp disks

There are a number of problems with this idea.

1. My RAMDISKs do not currently support 8GB individually although this is not an issue here (see #2).

2. You cannot use a separate RAMDISK with any standard DEFRAG Program. You wil need a customized driver that substitutes RAM space for additional Hard Drive space above the end of the Partition being Defragged.

3. Extending the Partition is even more problematical if the Partition is not the last one. You will need Filesystem Patches similar to my experimental Patch for drives larger than 2TB.

4. The FATs need to be extended also. There would not be enough room for them.

5. The Partition size would also have to be modified before Defragging and restored afterwards.

6. You would put a lot more data at risk if a power failure or crash occurs as RAM based data would be lost.

Edited by rloew

cool to read you nearly have all softwares for an idea like defram :rolleyes:

about the power crash , for security an ups is needed for desktop pc but most of nowadays pcs are laptops having this protection :thumbup

in a week or two i will have 3 hd of 2 To and a dual xeon mobo with 24 Go of ram . as i make this for watercooling : it should be running next month then i will be able to test more what you make .

Edited by sixcentgeorge