error after restoring image

Made a image from a Win 7 Pro machine with Windows PE starting with usb stick. It is a non sysprepped machine (i need this as a master reference pc). When i want to restore this image an hardware error appears. When i boot with a rescue disk there is a option to recover the startup options. Choosing this option works. Windows 7 then starts.

When i start with the recover disk and look at the error details i see that: Windows device: partition not found.

So there is something wrong with the startup partition. The machine is a Dell Optiplex 760.

What can this be?

Maybe the startup partition in the image is wrong but i cannot see that in Windows 7. In Windows xp i had a look at the boot.ini but now there is bcdboot which is not so easy to look at.

Someone got a idea?

The supported redeployment method is to generalize the image before capture, or use /generalize /audit. THen you only capture the OS partition. On redeploy, you create your system partition (I use 500MB) as the first, then use the rest of the disk (or your size choice) as the OS partition. Then deploy your WIM to the OS partition.

The supported redeployment method is to generalize the image before capture, or use /generalize /audit. THen you only capture the OS partition. On redeploy, you create your system partition (I use 500MB) as the first, then use the rest of the disk (or your size choice) as the OS partition. Then deploy your WIM to the OS partition.

But when i dispart the disk so it is empty and install win7 then directly make a image, then restore the image must be possible?

When i do this after the restore a message appears from the Window Boot manager, the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible?

But what can this be, it is so simple what i do: clean the disk, make 1 partition and install win 7, then make image, restore image......

When the error's appears i boot with a bootcd and then repair the boot, then Windows starts fine...

Do you believe that sysprepping this machine solves the error?

It sounds like a drive overlay is on the system. You didnt say if this is an OEM version of windows. if so, you probably have oem code in the boot loader. Best bet would be to wipe the hard drive with 1's and 0's then try this again.

It sounds like a drive overlay is on the system. You didnt say if this is an OEM version of windows. if so, you probably have oem code in the boot loader. Best bet would be to wipe the hard drive with 1's and 0's then try this again.

Yes it is a OEM version from Dell. But i wipe the hard drive with diskpart. When i restore a image i first start diskpart and clean the drive, making a new parttion. This has always worked for Windows Xp as long as the startup partition in the boot.ini was correct.

The cd is delivered by a Dell pc.

I thought that the cd's deliverd by Dell can be imaged and restored...

When you deploy, you should create a system partition like I said. Then create a second partition that takes up the rest of the drive. Put Windows 7 on the second partition. Don't put anything on the system partition. Diskpart script example:

sel disk 0
clean
create part pri size=500
sel part 1
active
format fs=ntfs label="System" quick
create part pri
sel part 2
format fs=ntfs label="LocalDisk" quick
assign letter=c
exit

Then this is the imagex command example:

imagex /apply z:\7PRO32\w7oobe.wim 1 c:
bcdboot.exe c:\windows

When you deploy, you should create a system partition like I said. Then create a second partition that takes up the rest of the drive. Put Windows 7 on the second partition. Don't put anything on the system partition. Diskpart script example:

sel disk 0
clean
create part pri size=500
sel part 1
active
format fs=ntfs label="System" quick
create part pri
sel part 2
format fs=ntfs label="LocalDisk" quick
assign letter=c
exit

Then this is the imagex command example:

imagex /apply z:\7PRO32\w7oobe.wim 1 c:
bcdboot.exe c:\windows

Thx. I understand the first code but why the second: i believe the 1 is for the number of the type of Windows installation in the .wim file (is this correct?). But why the bcdboot.exe?

I jave tried the diskpart steps but it go's wrong with the command: assign letter=c

diskpart says that an erro encouterd: the directory is not empty, see the event log for details.

But i have clean the disk and made the partitions so there could not be any data....

Some additional information:

I noticed with list disk that there are 2 disks: disk 0 and 1 one is 75 Gb and the other is 967 mb.

I believe i must delete (but this does not goiing well) disk 1 and create the two partition on disk 0?

Edited by surfertje

the 967mb sounds like a dell recovery part for xp ?

boot with a real 7 disk or the PE and delete all partitions before doing the other stuff

The recovery partition is on disk 0. So if he did a clean of disk 0, that partition would be gone. A 1GB volume (run diskpart list vol or diskpart list disk) sounds more like a USB drive or possibly a card reader. If you do a list vol, you'll also be able to see the optical drive, but you won't see it if you do a list disk.

Disk's are not the same as partiions with Diskpart i guess?

I have installed Windows 7 several times now, one time i installed over the existing Windows. The next time installed after removing the current partiitions. Then Windows says that he needs a extra partition. After that, making a image and restoring i did the above commands from Diskpart. Maybe the extra idsk / partition (now i don't know what it is anymore a disk or partition although i have only one disk drive....) is because i did it with diskpart.

I want to start all over again to make the image work (that is: to restore it without putting the recovery disk in it...).

What must i do to wipe the disks and start over with Diskpart?

If Windows 7 needs a extra partition so be it but when my image is restored i run a diskpart on it every time i do a restore that cleans the disk, make 1 partition and make it active and then restore the image to that partition. So when WIndows need a extra partition i believe that the diskpart command that runs when i do a restore must boot from the second partition.

I think there is something wrong with the partition where Windows wants to boot from..

It is importent for me that aboves goiing to work because this is becoming my base image without sysprep. THen install all the software and run sysprep i have my rollout image..

I don't use diskpart cause some odd reason reports my second drive as disk 0 and its plugged into Sata 2 on Mobo. Thats backup so don't want to lose

967mb too small for vista or 7 recovery, thats why it probably xp. You said it was a OEM version from Dell and best I recall my recovery was about that size on XP. You can boot with disk as I said above and delete all partitions. Then format . You could then boot with your stuff and use the diskpart as above

Or create 1 new partition and it add's a 100 to 200mb System Reserved which is your recovery in case of crash.

post-9484-1262737532_thumb.png

It actually contains the Recovery Environment "WinRE" which will allow recovery of the system if a problem is detected at startup. "WinRE" is accessed using the line "Repair your computer" in the advanced boot options (activated by pressing F8 at startup). Once this partition is created, better not remove it because it contains system files and boot the Master Boot Record (MBR) that will be damaged or lost.
And most are annoyed by this small Part and want it removed :wacko:

There are methods you can make 1 whole partition minus the 100mb if you don't want the WinRE partition. Do above, delete the large part, extend the 100 or 200mb out to end.

EDIT: All I am saying is I'd delete the 976mb to start fresh with 7. You can add a drive letter to it in Disk manager and see whats on it.

Edited by maxXPsoft

I don't use diskpart cause some odd reason reports my second drive as disk 0 and its plugged into Sata 2 on Mobo. Thats backup so don't want to lose

967mb too small for vista or 7 recovery, thats why it probably xp. You said it was a OEM version from Dell and best I recall my recovery was about that size on XP. You can boot with disk as I said above and delete all partitions. Then format . You could then boot with your stuff and use the diskpart as above

Or create 1 new partition and it add's a 100 to 200mb System Reserved which is your recovery in case of crash.

post-9484-1262737532_thumb.png

It actually contains the Recovery Environment "WinRE" which will allow recovery of the system if a problem is detected at startup. "WinRE" is accessed using the line "Repair your computer" in the advanced boot options (activated by pressing F8 at startup). Once this partition is created, better not remove it because it contains system files and boot the Master Boot Record (MBR) that will be damaged or lost.
And most are annoyed by this small Part and want it removed :wacko:

There are methods you can make 1 whole partition minus the 100mb if you don't want the WinRE partition. Do above, delete the large part, extend the 100 or 200mb out to end.

EDIT: All I am saying is I'd delete the 976mb to start fresh with 7. You can add a drive letter to it in Disk manager and see whats on it.

I have put the Windows 7 cd in de PC. Starting the install but Windows 7 doesn't see the small partition.... So he is now installing. I shall have a look later to see in Windows itself if there are two partitions. Because if the small partition is still there, Windows boots from the second partition if the small one is partition 0. So then i must alter my script which runs diskpart to make 2 partitions and make the second one active.....

I have tried to delete the partitions with diskpart but that doesn't work for me mor with delete disk nor with delete partitiion.

Win7 installed. In Diskmgmt he shows 2 partitions. One is 100 mb reserved, active and primairy. The second is the rest of the size where Windows is installed.

So when i have this right Windows boots from partition 2? Then when i make a image of it and restore that image i must make 2 partitions and make the second one active? Can someone tell me how to do this.