How to install unsupported graphic drivers?

Octopuss

Friend of mine has this Lenovo notebook with ATI x1300 or something card, which is not supported in Catalysts that come in version for W7, so naturally he can't use the system at all.

Is there any way around this? OR how to install newer drivers that don't support particular card by default?

Why not extract the components and use device manager to manually point the video device at the extracted contents? I never trust the full catalyst installer anyway.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
I think some OEM's mess with the HWID of the graphics driver so it's tied to the drivers they release. I had that happen with a Dell with an ATI 9700 mobility card. The drivers from ATI did not work, I had to use the drivers on Dell's site.

You will have to use a driver mod for them to install. You are correct that some OEMs screw with the hardware so that only their drivers work with. It sucks because they do this to get you to buy a newer laptop because they stop producing new drivers. http://laptopvideo2go.com/ is a site that I used to get modded drivers. Right now the site isnt up but check back with it later.