Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

the shutdown is slow because you enabled the option to clear the pagefile at shutdown.

<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="19593" endTime="48958" duration="29365" />

Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to 0 under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

The boot trace is incomplete.

Add -postBootDelay 300 to the command line of the boot trace. This captures 500s after boot. Compress the ETL as 7z (ULTRA, LZMA2) and upload it.

all summaries don't look good. But I need the ETL files. Can you compress them as 7z (LZMA2/Ultra) and upload them?

In all cases the WinlogonInit (starting services, request password, connect network connections) is slow

WinlogonInit" startTime="23322" endTime="418517" duration="395195">

If you use a HDD run the optimization I linked in the first post and look if this improves it. And xbootmgr doesn't tell you why it only boots while docked. I can only see why it is slow and how to solve the slowness.

I'll try to upload when I have access to a better internet connection.

xbootmgr doesnt point out WHY an issue is happening, but CAN IT show a place in the Boot sequence where the system Locks up for a longer time.. and even fails?

Is there no way to trace where/ which driver/ file/ function is where a windows boot / shurtdown errors out? esp a Failed Bootup

the shutdown is slow because you enabled the option to clear the pagefile at shutdown.

<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="19593" endTime="48958" duration="29365" />

Change the data value of the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value in the following registry key to 0 under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

The boot trace is incomplete.

Add -postBootDelay 300 to the command line of the boot trace. This captures 500s after boot. Compress the ETL as 7z (ULTRA, LZMA2) and upload it.

Hi again MagicAndre,

I followed your instructions on the shutdown recomendations and now it is faster

now with the boot report here it is the link to download it http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5US3XQH

I appreciate your help in advance.

kind regards,

AllanFreelancer

3ware 9650SE-8LPML causes EventID 41 (Kernel Power) when system hibernates

I have no idea. This is something for the Microsoft support.

At first: thank you for the hint with the hotfixes. KB2505454 solved the problem with the boot delay. :)

In the last few days I did some research about the kernel power error in the system log, when I try to hibernate the system. I organized an identical asrock mainboard, a second one from asus and a cpu for the case that there were some hardware problems. Then I tried a clean install with an ordinary 500 gb hard disk connected to a SATA port of the mainboard. Disabled windows update after install, added all the drivers for the mainboard and tested standby and hibernation. Both worked fine. After installing the 3ware driver the boot delay came up. KB2505454 fixed it. Standby and hibernation still worked fine. After that I decided to make a clean install with the SSD Raid Volume, disabled windows update and installed KB2505454. Standby works, hibernation did not whatever driver version I used:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
EventID 41
Version 2
Level 1
Task 63
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000000000000002
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2011-10-03T17:03:00.409213900Z
EventRecordID 330779
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8
Channel System
Computer XYZ
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress true
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Before changing the mainboard in my system I remembered that there is one additional system with an Fujitsu Mainboard and a 2 port 3ware Controller (9650SE-2LP). It has Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard installed. I activated the hibernation mode at the command line with powercfg -h on, rebooted and tried to sitch to hibernation mode with rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState at the command line. Same result as above.

Today I submitted a support request at LSI.

xbootmgr doesnt point out WHY an issue is happening, but CAN IT show a place in the Boot sequence where the system Locks up for a longer time.. and even fails?

Is there no way to trace where/ which driver/ file/ function is where a windows boot / shutdown errors out? esp a Failed Bootup

xbootmgr shows why boot is slow, but not why boot failed.

now with the boot report here it is the link to download it http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5US3XQH

the trace is still incomplete, but I can see that Avast is terrible slow (29s to start the service). primvirlaux hat the same slowdown with Avast. Do you use a Beta version? I can't information about version 6.0.1325 only 6.0.1289. Remove Avast and try other alternatives. Also set the FontCache3.0.0.0 service to "on demand" because this service causes 5s hang of the boot (you can see this in the picture, too). Do you need the Yota Access Service (Modems) service? if not, disable the service, too. this one takes 3s to start. The largest delay is caused by the Windows Search service. How large is your index? Try to rebuild the index and remove folders from the index.

What I can also see is a not correctly trained Prefetcher (you see a lot of cache misses (black)):

post-70718-0-58901300-1318249801_thumb.p

Run the optimization I linked in the first post. After doing the steps your Windows runs much faster.

3ware 9650SE-8LPML causes EventID 41 (Kernel Power) when system hibernates

ok, I thought the same, but I can't prove this idea. controllers (IDE, SATA, SCSI) and their drivers can often cause crashes and failures. Nice to hear that you figured this out. Maybe other users read this too and find the cause of their issue :)

Edited by MagicAndre1981

the trace is still incomplete, but I can see that Avast is terrible slow (29s to start the service). primvirlaux hat the same slowdown with Avast. Do you use a Beta version? I can't information about version 6.0.1325 only 6.0.1289. Remove Avast and try other alternatives. Also set the FontCache3.0.0.0 service to "on demand" because this service causes 5s hang of the boot (you can see this in the picture, too). Do you need the Yota Access Service (Modems) service? if not, disable the service, too. this one takes 3s to start. The largest delay is caused by the Windows Search service. How large is your index? Try to rebuild the index and remove folders from the index.

What I can also see is a not correctly trained Prefetcher (you see a lot of cache misses (black)):

post-70718-0-58901300-1318249801_thumb.p

Run the optimization I linked in the first post. After doing the steps your Windows runs much faster.

Hi again MagicAndre,

here it is again the new boot report http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WNKRUJKD, I did your recomendations I changed my Avast Internet Security to Panda Cloud Antivirus Free and PC Tools as a firewall

after I did the optimization the system runs much faster as you told me, but with no antivirus installed yet, after that I installed the security programs as I mentioned before, but again my system is still slow at the boot time

Soluto software tells me that my system took 2.23 min to boot., so please analyze the report that I sent you and I'll be here waiting for your response.

By the way, I've no idea how to put the FontCache3.0.0.0 service to "on demand", could you please oriented me on this???

kind regards,

Allan

Edited by AllanFreelancer

the trace was not successful. You only gave me the 2 temporary files. They are useless on my PC. Run the command with the -postBootDelay 300 parameter and let the countdown tick to 0 and don't press finish to interrupt this.

Start the service MMC snapin (services.msc) look for "Windows Presentation Foundation-Fontcache 3.0.0.0", double click it and set the start type to disabled. The service is only needed for WPF apps, but most tools don't use this.

the trace was not successful. You only gave me the 2 temporary files. They are useless on my PC. Run the command with the -postBootDelay 300 parameter and let the countdown tick to 0 and don't press finish to interrupt this.

Start the service MMC snapin (services.msc) look for "Windows Presentation Foundation-Fontcache 3.0.0.0", double click it and set the start type to disabled. The service is only needed for WPF apps, but most tools don't use this.

Hi MagicAndre,

the process send me an error and attached is the screen capture, I tried three times and nothing successful, but here are the reports anyway.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JNTJAZFZ

kind regards,

Allan

post-334378-0-36536700-1318341589_thumb.

Hi, I'm new here. I was recommended here by someone from a Lenovo Forum. Ever since I installed Visual Studio 2010, my boot time went from ~45 seconds, to ~2 minutes and 30 seconds.

So I followed the instructions in the post, but could you help me decipher it?

summary_boot.xml

Thanks,

SonofNun

YOu Windows needs 2minutes to boot to the desktop and 2m59s to be booted completely

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="123681" bootDoneViaPostBoot="189181"

The .Net 3.0 Font Cache service also hangs for you. It takes 21s to start the service. The service TPHKSVC takes 8 s. The jhi_service, takes21 and the MSSQL Server Express takes 36s to start. I set the starttype of SQL Server to "manual/on demand" and start it if I need it in VS. So look if you need all the services.

If you use a HDD (no SSD), check the link in my first post and install the hotfixes for Windows 7 and run the optimization.

If this doesn't improve the boot, make a new trace and upload it.

Remove the WPT 4.6 and install version 4.8 from the Windows SDK for Windows 7 ad .Net Framework 4.0 and try it again.

Hi again MagicAndre,

same error as always with WPT 4.8 as you recommended me.

hrere it is an image capture of it.

post-334378-0-45793100-1318596923_thumb.

and after installed the new version of WPT 4.8 I decided to optimize again the boot and it needed 55 mins to completly boot, but after a few reboots

Soluto software tells me that the last boot needed 3.17 mins to completley boot.

post-334378-0-44710100-1318597220_thumb.

kind regards,

Allan

Edited by AllanFreelancer

Thanks for the help. After changing some services and installing the three hotfixes, my boot time is down to ~1min 20sec. Which is nice, but I would like to get it lower if possible.

Here is the xml file after all my tweaking:

summary_boot.xml

Right now I am using Ultimate Defrag 3 to defragment my HDD.

Also, I thought I would provide a little info about my laptop.

2nd Gen Intel Core i5 2.3Ghz

4gb ram

320gb 7200 RPM HDD

Thanks agian,

SonofNun