Windows XP SP3 Deployment

bongoozy

This is regarding deployment of XP SP3 to 9000+ workstations. Is it recommended by microsoft to deploy SP3 in silent mode which will enable the user to work on their workstation while SP3 in installed. I accept that the PC might be slow due to the fact that SP3 is being installed and the users are working simultaniously. But my biggest concern is that if the PC/workstation is rebooted while the SP3 install is in progress then how likely it will corrupt the OS. I have extracted the SP3 download and copied to a network share and using the /quiet /forceappclose /promptrestart /log:c:\xpsp3.log.

PLEASE ENLIGHT WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE OF DEPLOYING XP SP3 IN SILENT MODE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE..

Edited by bongoozy

This is regarding deployment of XP SP3 to 9000+ workstations. Is it recommended by microsoft to deploy SP3 in silent mode which will enable the user to work on their workstation while SP3 in installed. I accept that the PC might be slow due to the fact that SP3 is being installed and the users are working simultaniously. But my biggest concern is that if the PC/workstation is rebooted while the SP3 install is in progress then how likely it will corrupt the OS. I have extracted the SP3 download and copied to a network share and using the /quiet /forceappclose /promptrestart /log:c:\xpsp3.log.

PLEASE ENLIGHT WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE OF DEPLOYING XP SP3 IN SILENT MODE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE..

I don't like doing anything like this during business hours. Major drain on the network.

Users should be informed to leave their machines on overnight or weekend, and you schedule SP3 to install silently Friday night. On Saturday, you connect through the VPN and or drive to office, and run some scripts to determine what machines failed, on Monday you and your team take care of the machines of users who didn't leave their computer on. With 9000 machines, it will likely take multiple weeks before you can truly finish them all, people will take machines home, you know the drill.

Which patch platform are you using SMS, Altiris, Tivoli, or are you doing this another way. (yikes WSUS server ?)

One large office tip is, try to do smaller batchs in 10-15 minute waves, so that the local mirror of the DFS doesn't get overloaded. 9000 requests for a 350MB file will kill any office network. Maybe start with a test run of 500 machines and see how it goes. Do you have GBe to the desktop or only 100MB ?

But again I must stress, do it during the off hours. Just because you can install it during the day, doesn't mean you should. Use only as last resort.

Edited by MrJinje

I accept that the PC might be slow due to the fact that SP3 is being installed and the users are working simultaniously.

Will your users be as keen? I mean it will probably last about 1/2hour on each PC. The coffee machine will be overloaded as well.