Can't get VNC working on WinPE 3.0

everwicked

I tried following everwicked's instructions but it wont work for me. I tried winvnc4 -start but a message about a the service not installed/exist came up. Am i missing something?

I copied the Winvnc4.exe and the 3 other files to the same folder. This was not the System32 folder as indiciated above. Would this cause an issue? I am receiving a IP address via DHCP. Any ideas?

Edited by Eagle710

I tried following everwicked's instructions but it wont work for me. I tried winvnc4 -start but a message about a the service not installed/exist came up. Am i missing something?

I copied the Winvnc4.exe and the 3 other files to the WinPE image. I am receiving a IP address via DHCP. Any ideas?

I think you followed the wrong set of instructions.

See below.

I don't have my script to hand to just copy/paste it but it's very easy.

Just download/install RealVNC on a computer and grab the winvnc4.exe and whatever .dlls it has - you don't need the viewer.exe or the config.exe. Copy them to a folder on your WinPE CD.

Finally run winvnc /? and it will show you a list of parameters - specify a port number and password. The password has to be in the same binary format that it's stored in the registry so create a password on your machine and check HKLM/Software/RealVNC - just type in the numbers into the command line without the commas.

That's all really. Remember to run the disablefirewall command posted above before any of this.

Let me know if you struggle somewhere.

I followed those instructions...... are those correct or am I missing something? Regedits perhaps?

They are correct.

You don't need -start parameter - that's for running VNC in service mode not user mode!

Only specify port number and password through the command line.

I tried again and it didin't work. When I run winvnc4.exe -status it gives me the error message that the service doesn't exist.

I've just told you that the -register / -start and -status parameters are to run it in service mode. You want to run it in user mode.

Just type winvnc.exe to run the VNC server. That's it!!!!

You still won't be able to connect without setting a password so check the password parameter!

So i moved all the files in the Sys32 folder and that did not make a difference. When I simply run winvnc4.exe it shows Starting User-Mode VNC and pauses. However when I enter the following:

winvnc4.exe portnumber=5800 password=Test123

The command line parameters show me all the options. ANy other ideas?

Please note I am using RealVNC 4(Free Edition)

Edited by Eagle710

When I simply run winvnc4.exe it shows Starting User-Mode VNC and pauses.

It doesn't pause - it's waiting for connections! That's why it's called user-mode, because it waits in the foreground, not in the background like a service.

your password has to be in hex. Use the vncconfig.exe to set a password, then grab the hex from the registry.

Yes, you do that on another machine, not from within WinPE - vncconfig didn't work for me there.

On the server side this is the command I use:

Winvnc4.exe portnumber=5888 password=01230123

I got it work but when I try to connect from a different system(Vista) using the VNC Viewer I can see the incoming connections but it states the password is incorrect. On the server side it states "SConnection: AuthFailureException: No Password configured for VNCAuth."

Any advice?

Edited by Eagle710