Can't get VNC working on WinPE 3.0

everwicked

Hello,

I've followed this guide: http://www.msfn.org/board/integrate-vnc-in...all-t44483.html to install the RealVNC server on my WinPE image and yet it doesn't seem to work.

I've configured a static IP address for my LAN using netsh from startnet.cmd (after wpeinit) and ipconfig /all reports the IP fine and:

- I can ping other boxes from WinPE

- WinPE does NOT respond to ping

- I can use VNC viewer from WinPE to connect to other boxes

But, I CANNOT use VNC viewer to connect TO WinPE. It's almost like there is a firewall or a service that accepting incoming connections is missing.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Edited by everwicked

That's a rather odd error:

# for hex 0x800f0203 / decimal -2146500093 :
SPAPI_E_NO_DRIVER_SELECTED winerror.h
# There is no driver selected for the device information set
# or element.
# 1 matches found for "0x800f0203"

have you tried: "wpeutil DisableFirewall"

I had several problems in WinPE 3.0, until I found that the firewall is enabled by default. I put that line in my startnet.cmd

FYI, Firewall is enabled by default in WinPE 2.x as well.

You guys rock!

RealVNC will refuse to work in Service mode and disabling the firewall + user-mode works a charm!

You guys rock!

RealVNC will refuse to work in Service mode and disabling the firewall + user-mode works a charm!

Did you get it working? If so, can you give us a step by step?

Edited by Jazkal

You guys rock!

Did you get it working? If so, can you give us a step by step?

I don't have my script to hand to just copy/paste it but it's very easy.

Just download/install RealVNC on a computer and grab the winvnc4.exe and whatever .dlls it has - you don't need the viewer.exe or the config.exe. Copy them to a folder on your WinPE CD.

Finally run winvnc /? and it will show you a list of parameters - specify a port number and password. The password has to be in the same binary format that it's stored in the registry so create a password on your machine and check HKLM/Software/RealVNC - just type in the numbers into the command line without the commas.

That's all really. Remember to run the disablefirewall command posted above before any of this.

Let me know if you struggle somewhere.

I don't have my script to hand to just copy/paste it but it's very easy.

Just download/install RealVNC on a computer and grab the winvnc4.exe and whatever .dlls it has - you don't need the viewer.exe or the config.exe. Copy them to a folder on your WinPE CD.

Finally run winvnc /? and it will show you a list of parameters - specify a port number and password. The password has to be in the same binary format that it's stored in the registry so create a password on your machine and check HKLM/Software/RealVNC - just type in the numbers into the command line without the commas.

That's all really. Remember to run the disablefirewall command posted above before any of this.

Let me know if you struggle somewhere.

I have all the files for VNC copied to X:\Windows\System32\

winvnc4.exe
wm_hooks.dll
logmessages.dll

I then run:

wpeinit.exe DisableFirewall

Then I run:

winvnc4.exe PortNumber=5900 Password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It runs in User-Mode and waits.

But all attemts to connect to the box fails.

Did you set a valid IP address with netsh?

Also try to vncviewer 127.0.0.1 and see if that works.

And also try a different port number, I think the default port didn't work for me for whatever reason - I used 5000.

Let me know how it goes!

Did you set a valid IP address with netsh?

Also try to vncviewer 127.0.0.1 and see if that works.

And also try a different port number, I think the default port didn't work for me for whatever reason - I used 5000.

Let me know how it goes!

Yes, I have a valid IP for WinPE via DHCP.

using this command line:

vncviewer.exe 127.0.0.1::5000 works

But I can still not access it remotely. Firewall is off, what else could be blocking it?