Best Network Tool/App

What's the best Network tool to use to connect to other computers on my network.

Overall I would like to use the VPN client because i read it's the most secure.

Now my network is going to have many different version of Windows this is why i need a tool to connect

to all types of computers. I'm trying to avoid having the same type of apps when all i need is 1 to get the job done.

I'm running Win98SE just for the record.

I will use my cell phone to dial a connection when i'm not @ home.

Other than that it will always be broadband/Dsl/Wireless.

DS Client - Needs a computer running Win2000

Microsoft IPSec VPN - Needs a dial-up connection

Remote Desktop Connection - Need a computer running WinXP Pro, but might work with Win2000 Pro

HyperTerminal - dial-up via TCP/IP

Telnet - unsure

Microsoft Remote Desktop client is available as a download for windows nt/2000 but is included in XP and up

Microsoft Remote Desktop server is available on anything running NT 4.0 & up (excluding "Home" and "Starter" Editions of XP, Vista and 7)

putty and/or mremote would be my tools of choice for the uses you listed though im unsure whether mremote will support 98SE but really the clint you need is gonna depend mostly on what OS your arget machine is running.

Microsoft Remote Desktop client is available as a download for windows nt/2000 but is included in XP and up

Yeah this requires you to have a computer with WinXP pro. I don't have a copy of Pro.

I dont think thats correct

This software package will install the client portion of Remote Desktop on any of the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...rdclientdl.mspx

Sorry i wasn't clear i would need a computer to have WinXP Pro to use the program on my windows98SE.

yeah that would be referred to as the server part of the connection (which is why i underlined server/client above in attempt to avoid that confusion)

the client (the pc you are connecting from) will run on 98 but the server (the pc you are connecting to) will not run on 98

What about Novell are they any good?

Can anybody confirm that DS Client for Win98SE works with Windows 2000 Pro and not just the server additions.

And a computer with WinXP and other OS will be able to connect if i use Win 2000 pro as my server.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD