DX9.0c manual integration

caps_buster

I wonder, since I having a issues with HFSLIP, if someone can help me and explain me, how to integrate the DX9.0c into the Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP1.0c install CD's. Fred explained the HFSLIP way well in there, step 6:

http://www.vorck.com/windows/2ksp5.html

Place the following two files into the HFCABS folder:

BDANT.CAB

DXNT.CAB

That is rather easy and as I tested, this perticular proces end well and Windows boot up with the DX9.0c.

Now the question is - how to do it by hand? Anyone know?

The easiest way is to DL the dx9c installer and install it. Manually installing it with binaries is a big pita. There's many files to rename, swap and register. There's also some INF files that need to get modded and installed too. If you need directions on how to do it, look outside the hfslip forum.

Well, I have the installer and installing DX9.0c after Windows install.

What I asked about is how to integrate the DX9.0c into windows XP SP1.0a Czech install. Too many files? Come on. It is just TWO files. Register? Sure regsrv32 dx9.dll is no that hard, is it? Somewhere in the HFSLIP must me code that do this, right? Inf files? Something inside the BDANT.CAB and DXNT.CAB...? Hmmm, I probably can try HFSLIP the Win2k SP4 install with DX9 and THEN apply my install speed-up fixes... But what about the WinXP SP1.0a Czech ...?

...Now the question is - how to do it by hand? Anyone know?

Pardon my ignorance, but you asked how to manually integrate dx9. By manual I thought you meant binary by binary by hand. Manually is tedious. There is more than just registering a few DLLs. There's some driver files to be added and there's a host of INF files that need to be installed too.

If you want to use HFSLIP to automatically (i.e. not manually) slipstream DX9 into an XPSP1 source, you can do one of two things. You can either place the directx 9 distributution in the HF folder, OR you can place the same cabs you mentioned before into the HFCABS folder. Either will do the same. Keep in mind that nobody is maintaining an SP1 hotfix list, so it will be up to you to see if it works. I think that portions of HFSLIP were trimmed to kill off the SP1 hotfixes. Keep that in mind. The code that was removed will not be added back in. However, if you decide to be all up to date, just slipstream SP3, you do not need to worry about this because SP3 has DX9.

If you choose not to use HFSLIP to add in DX9, please ask in the appropriate forum.

Edited by tommyp