Windows Me Issues

Glenn9999

I just got done setting up a real (as opposed to virtual) Windows ME partition for gaming and ran into a couple of things that I didn't have much idea on.

1) The keyboard works, but it will exhibit the "stuck key" thing that a lot of keyboards did when it came to DOS games (push a key hold it in, the one next door doesn't work right). The keyboard is Logitech brand, and I didn't add a driver for this, so I'm wondering if a driver change would fix this? If not, what?

2) Then the video kind of panels and artifacts (? I don't know the right word to describe it). It just doesn't draw things right. This is on a widescreen monitor with the last Nvidia 98-ME drivers I could find (71.XX I think), and the monitor driver was what I had that came with the monitor.

Not sure about the top issue, but the bottom issue I may have an idea about.

The latest officially released NVIDIA drivers for 9x, 81.XX, did not have widescreen support. I'm guessing your widescreen monitor is stretching the image across the screen, creating artifacts (think of it like resizing an image in Paint, it loses detail). There are drivers with widescreen support available, and less buggy drivers at that.

http://www.msfn.org/board/nvidia-drivers-82-69-t97140.html

1) The keyboard works, but it will exhibit the "stuck key" thing that a lot of keyboards did when it came to DOS games (push a key hold it in, the one next door doesn't work right). The keyboard is Logitech brand, and I didn't add a driver for this, so I'm wondering if a driver change would fix this? If not, what?
Please find out the model# of that Logitech keyboard. It's probably marked on a label underneath. If this is one of those Internet keyboards, with all the fancy additional keys for audio, off/on, and programmable website links, then could that be the problem? Have you used this keyboard for gaming on other O/S platforms and had no stuck keys??

Find a regular pre-Internet 101-key P/S2 keyboard and see if that works for you. Those use a different chip/circuitry where the keyboard "matrix" doesn't create stuck key issues. Heck, even an older AT-style keyboard should work (those with the big original DIN connector), just get a P/S2 adapter (or maybe a DIN-to-USB one, if they exist). I use an AT keyboard (with PS2 adapter) for 3D gaming and I don't get stuck keys at all, even like 3 or 4 keys all down simultaneously. Can't remember about the even older XT keyboards though (i.e. those without F11/F12), if they work with gaming, it's been a decade since I checked (although I still have a few, just in the closet).

Please find out the model# of that Logitech keyboard. It's probably marked on a label underneath.

It's the Logitech Deluxe Keyboard Y-SU61.

Have you used this keyboard for gaming on other O/S platforms and had no stuck keys??

I seem to remember it working without a problem, but I can double-check.

Edit: I Double-checked, it did the same thing under XP, the best I could test it. I didn't figure that they would still be putting out keyboards with that functional deficiency still... Anyhow, is there any suggestion on a way to at least mitigate this?

Edited by Glenn9999

Get yourself a decent keyboard. I use a vintage 1993 IBM model M (1391401) clicky (buckling spring) keyboard. They are sturdy, reliable and heavenly to type in. One can still buy them new as of today, and they usually cost something in between US$ 50 to US$ 90, and are worth every cent of it. You can find them at ClickyKeyboards. They don't have the windows keys and the menu key, however, so they're great for those who, like me, don't miss them. Of course, in matters of taste YMMV widely. And if you must have the windows keys, you can always get a contemporary Model M (the Customizer 104) from Unicomp.

It's the Logitech Deluxe Keyboard Y-SU61.

I seem to remember it working without a problem, but I can double-check.

Edit: I Double-checked, it did the same thing under XP, the best I could test it. I didn't figure that they would still be putting out keyboards with that functional deficiency still... Anyhow, is there any suggestion on a way to at least mitigate this?

Wow, I can't even find that exact model# at Logitech site. It must be OEM or old, like late 1990's or so. What else is on that label (or anywhere else). Is there a manufactur date/year?

I did not get any search hits for Y-SU61. The closest I can get to finding ME drivers at Logitech is to search for "deluxe keyboard". You'll get hits like iTouch driver/software and/or model Y-SU45. Yes, they still offer WinME drivers. I didn't try downloading any so I hope it's not a broken download/link. There might be drivers somewhere else other than at Logitech.com, but I didn't look long enough.

I don't know exactly what yours looks like, of course. Is it a 104-key legacy Deluxe keyboard? Count how many keys there are.

You can start here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/404/&amp...en&legacy=1

Anyway, install them at your own risk if it isn't the correct software. I'm sure you can always revert back to the default ME keyboard drivers.

As far as a 'deficiency', I am guessing things have since gotten better. There are gaming keyboards out there now, but I don't have one. Your keyboard is older, but not as old as the generic AT-style 101's. As far as I know, yours is just a Windows keyboard model (hence the Windows logo key), but it is not an Internet multimedia keyboard as I assumed earlier (i.e. audio, off/on, web keys). Of course, as a last resort, find an older keyboard as I suggested (don't you have one in the closet or basement?) or buy a current gamer (or non-gamer) keyboard. Some are pretty inexpensive. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by technoid

Wow, I can't even find that exact model# at Logitech site. It must be OEM or old, like late 1990's or so. What else is on that label (or anywhere else). Is there a manufactur date/year?

Logitech rolls off old product from their site rather quickly. This was a keyboard that was purchased in 2007 or so. PS/2 style cable.

I don't know exactly what yours looks like, of course. Is it a 104-key legacy Deluxe keyboard? Count how many keys there are.

It's just a basic windows style keyboard. See the attachment for the basic "online computer shop" image of this keyboard.

Of course, as a last resort, find an older keyboard as I suggested (don't you have one in the closet or basement?) or buy a current gamer (or non-gamer) keyboard. Some are pretty inexpensive. Let me know how it goes.

Nope, don't have another one. The rest I have all have worse malfunctions than this.

Edited by Glenn9999

Okay, this issue is called key blocking. I knew this was an issue in older technology and I figured that manufacturers would have gotten past it, but it seems that's what I'm encountering with the Logitech keyboard. It seems I got a piece of junk for a keyboard.

Even found a video that explains it:

It's just a matter of function. They aren't meant for simultaneous keypresses, except when you use the usual dual key combination with Alt, Ctrl, Shift, etc. I had the same problem with an HP multimedia keyboard that came with a Pentium3 Vectra system around 2001. I couldn't use combo actions in 3D FPS games like forward+strafe+jump keys at the same time. The keyboard would make a beep and the action would freeze for a second, ad infinitum, until you let go of the keys (in this case, Quake2). I'm sure you know that would be highly annoying. I'd call it a form of lag kill, nobody to blame but me, lol. So I went back to a tried and true keyboard I had before which worked, an early 1990's pre-Windows pre-multimedia type. Imho, even if you did find the right ME drivers I linked to above, it would probably not make the problem go away. This is essentially a hardwired design, on the circuit board, no software overrides. Still, you can try installing the driver to be certain. I'm sure things have gotten better because a lot of people (like gamers, I'd suspect) probably whined about it over the years.

I'd check that video, but I'm on dialup atm, so no way I'm going to try, heh. Anyway, hopefully you find/buy another one. What keyboard were you using before for gaming?

Well, if the problem is finding a keyboard without phantom key blocking, then, AFAIK, you'd have to get yourself a Happy Hacking Keyboard, if they still are available. If I remember right, they don't have key blocking and do not generate phatom keys (at least that's what I read somewhere, but I've never tested one of them myself). The model M wouldn't be suitable for you, after all.